• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Head light upgrade. ....

Matt5

Banned
View attachment 722344 In the 30k miles I've had mine no one has flashed their brights at me.
I am going to assume you are not running the round lights down the road and are talking about your truck lights... Your headlights were $500(ish) for a pair and are made not to glare, all the headlights linked here are just LED chips stuck in a round reflector... that is why I said if you are paying under $500 (maybe a little less now they could have come down some) its off road only.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am going to assume you are not running the round lights down the road and are talking about your truck lights... Your headlights were $500(ish) for a pair and are made not to glare, all the headlights linked here are just LED chips stuck in a round reflector... that is why I said if you are paying under $500 (maybe a little less now they could have come down some) its off road only.
You get what you pay for.

My Truck-Lites have been flawless.

Bighorn

Thanks.
I will spend the extra dough.
Have a trucklite utility light under the hood.
Impressd with it's quality and fully epoxy sealed design.

rsh4364

In inclement weather I run both the square trucklite lights and the round trucklite floodlights. No problem so far. But the point is if the lights aren't DOT compliant don't buy them. I will say with the headlights on high beam and the floods on its like driving in the daylight.

Last edited:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
LEDs are not known for throwing a lot of light downrange.
Very bright in close but drops off rapidly the further out it goes. (Like any light, but more pronounced with LEDs).
Definitely getting better but not there yet.

The current aviation LED searchlights are crazy expensive and suck to put it bluntly.
Big difference from automotive headlights I know, but same principle applies.

The current LEDs just can’t throw light as far and as effective as current performance bulbs.
I run Halogen Infrared bulbs in my civilian vehicles.
Almost double the lumens with same power draw. All while being DOT approved.

Main reason I went with Truck-Lite LEDs in the CUCVs is power draw.
They are fantastic lights and I have been extremely happy with them, but I didn’t get LEDs just to have them.

If getting a set, get the best DOT approved light you can afford.
It does make a difference and headlights are not something to skimp money on.

If you have an accident at night, the headlights/bulbs are checked in the crash investigation.
Mostly if it involves a fatality(s).
If you do not have DOT compliant lighting, you better have a good lawyer and very deep pockets.
Your insurance company will wash their hands of you and the other parties will have a field day.
I know there’s a ton of cheap lights that are installed that do not meet DOT requirements.
They can sell them all day long.
It’s up to the purchaser to “install” them, therefore accepting responsibility for the install.
Right or Wrong
It is what it is.

So saving a few dollars might sound like a good idea and on most things it would be.
Headlights aren’t one of them.

Drock

Just my 2cents. (#1) Nearly all LED lights are maid in China. (#2) I was fine with the brightness of the stock glass incandescent bulbs. (#3) the ones I bought were only $30.00 more then stock ones. (#4) these are DOT legal as advertised & printed on the front of them. (#5) The glass bulbs for whatever reason, vibration, or they just don't make them like they used to? Would burn out or the glass would crack every 10,000 miles... So the way I see it I only took a $30.00 dollar gamble, and I'm betting these will at least have double the lifespan then the stockers :shrugs:

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Just my 2cents. (#1) Nearly all LED lights are maid in China. (#2) I was fine with the brightness of the stock glass incandescent bulbs. (#3) the ones I bought were only $30.00 more then stock ones. (#4) these are DOT legal as advertised & printed on the front of them. (#5) The glass bulbs for whatever reason, vibration, or they just don't make them like they used to? Would burn out or the glass would crack every 10,000 miles... So the way I see it I only took a $30.00 dollar gamble, and I'm betting these will at least have double the lifespan then the stockers :shrugs:
My last post wasn’t meant for you specifically.
Just general info for anyone who is thinking about a set.

Truck-Lites are made in USA.
Not sure about Grote.
All others, as you mentioned, made in China.

Drock

My last post wasn’t meant for you specifically.
Just general info for anyone who is thinking about a set.

Truck-Lites are made in USA.
Not sure about Grote.
All others, as you mentioned, made in China.
HA! actually I think we were posting at the same time, so I didn't even have a chance to read your post when I wrote that LOL! That being said I would bet that the LED bulbs inside the "American made" lenses are still China imports. I have a strange little side hobby of collecting & restoring vintage flashlights. And converting them to LED's. Now that doesn't make me an expert in all things LED. But I have seen LED's double in brightness & lower in price about every 6 months. like I said before most all LED bulbs come from China. You can spend $500.00 on a high end O-light or Fenix tactical flashlight. And 6 months later you can buy a brighter one from Walmart:shrugs:. Soo the way I see it, if I get at least double the life out of my $30.00 investment then I win in the end.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The LEDs are getting much much better.
Agree about the flashlights.
My older LED Surefire flashlights aren’t as bright as my newer ones.

mike634

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have the Truck Lites on my 1028. They are great except in heavy snow. The snow will build up and they have to be cleaned off or they are useless. That is the only downside I have found

sandsock

20180218_124111.jpg
I bought the Partsam (Chinesy) ones on Amazon for 58 bucks a pair shipped because they supposedly have a vent for moisture to escape and they are great for the money. I was jealous of the LEDs the military HMMWV’s and FMTVs have around here

Last edited:

dodgedougak

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I am hearing from friends here in snow country, that the LED lights don't melt the snow off when driving in heavy snow. They have to keep getting out and cleaning the snow off the headlights!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks