• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Headlights?

datadawg

I don't know of any, but make sure they will work on 24V. I assume most would be designed for 12V systems. Other issue is if tbe LED puts out too many lumens, you may be blinding everyone. The 5 tons have headlights probably 2 feet higher than those on a regular car.

Bowmanvolfire

LED Headlights for the Deuce

Hello Forum:

We have a 1967 Kaiser that could use a little help in the headlight department. Does anyone have any suggestions of suppliers/manufacturers of LED headlight conversions?

Thanks very much.

John
BCVFD

Powershift

I have them on my M931-A2. I got them from a member on this site. They were easily one of the best mods I did to my truck. Night visibility is SO much better! Not to mention, they look badass. LOL I also added route clearance lamps. Great for off road use (or to annoy friends).

Lights.jpg

Jeepsinker

They are great if you get a good deal on them ( maybe $150-$200 per pair). They are not very reliable. I've been through several pairs in the past year and a half. It is absolutely imperative that you have good grounds for them or they will fail in short order. Drilling vent holes in the headlight buckets will help dissipate heat from the heatsink on the back of the lights, if not, they get no airflow and burn up eventually. The mode of failure is almost never that they just go out. Usually they start flashing bright to dim intermittently. Very annoying...

tim292stro

I like J.W. Speaker lights - twice what TruckLites go for, but IMHO a better beam pattern, better look, and they have a little internal fan that helps melt the ice off the lens (stirs the warm air inside the housing).

8700Evolution.jpg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ygvYo7Zjq1M

Oshkosh has been showing their newest truck with J.W. Speakers (they used to use TruckLite):
1.jpg

And Harley Davidson entered into a contract with J.W. Speaker for factory LED headlights (notice the HD branding in the face of the evolution lamp):
harley-davidson-2.jpg

Like others have said, what ever you put in, keep it cool by circulating air behind the assembly - and spikes are nasty with these, if you can put in a TVS-suppressor on your headlight circuit, the headlights will thank you for it...

Last edited:

wilsonmotors

I have the mil spec version of the jw speaker and love them! I have them on my m1009 and my m35a2 but I spent over a grand per truck!!!!!! But by far the best upgrade I ever made so far!!!!

infidel got me

I purchased two round headlights from fleabay for around 60 bucks.

I think they were listed for an old vw bus, but any 7 inch round headlamp

should work. I then purchased 4 hella h4 heavy duty bulbs 24v 75/70 w

I think I have around 110 bucks in lights and three times brighter.

Not a led, but cheaper and better than stock.

Just another option for you- I like mine.

sandcobra164

I got a good deal on a set of take out's. They have been on my truck since the 2010 GA Rally and are still working fine to this day. They are the older now Trucklite models and if and when they fail, I'll get another set to replace them. I had the pleasure of greeting the Rally attendees to their first glimpse when I came off the night trail ride years ago. They loved it and now more and more trucks are running them. They get my thumbs up and I have not modified my headlamp buckets. I did ensure the grounds are good. Less than an ohm of resistance in my case.

Woodsplinter

I have the mil spec version of the jw speaker and love them! I have them on my m1009 and my m35a2 but I spent over a grand per truck!!!!!! But by far the best upgrade I ever made so far!!!!
Wait- you spent $2000 just on headlights? Do they shovel snow or cook breakfast?

Boy, I thought adding A/C and a good set of safe tires to my deuce were my best upgrade- better go check my headlights now. lol !

Wish I had your budget! :)

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Wow- a light bar that's worth more than the truck it's mounted on? Amazing...
I could have sworn someone just paid about $700+ for their rims to be blasted and painted, just for looks. An expensive light bar is worth it, if the owner thinks its worth it, just sayin...

tim292stro

Tanget but - I'm building an engine for about $15K to go into a truck I bought for $1.5K... After the fact it's always more expensive.

Back on target, headlights are like your #1 safety device after the sun goes down. You could have brand new tires (x6 on a 5-ton), new brake master cylinders, new brake shoes and hubs, all new stainless steel braided lines to the hubs - potentially thousands of dollars of PM hardware and hours of effort. None of that is worth anything if you never see that deer run out in front of you...

If you don't think the LED's are worth the money go for a ride in someone's truck who has them - it's an illuminating experience. :lol:

welldigger

I could have sworn someone just paid about $700+ for their rims to be blasted and painted, just for looks. An expensive light bar is worth it, if the owner thinks its worth it, just sayin...
I had my a3 wheels sand blasted and powdercoated. In my eyes that was an excellent $400 investment to have 7 wheels done. They coated them inside and out. This way I won't be fighting rust when it's time to install new tires.

They also look fantastic.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks