• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED Light Idiot Check

ssdvc

I am gathering parts and pieces to convert all my M1009 lighting to LED. Just to make sure, and from what I remember reading, the only lights that should n't be converted to LED are the GEN 1 indicator lamp in the dash and the front side makers. Is that correct? I did purchase the proper flasher module, but is there anything else, besides the bulbs, I'm missing? I am also adding a Wig/Wag module as well as a three flash brake module.

carter262

I would not convert either Gen lights to be safe. Gen 2 is part of the charging system and must be a 194 bulb.

I am not sure why you shouldn't or can't convert the front side marker lights. One of my vehicles has them in the front side marker lights and they work fine.

MarcusOReallyus

I would not convert either Gen lights to be safe. Gen 2 is part of the charging system and must be a 194 bulb.
Yes. Both circuits work the same. The only difference is where they are grounded. That detail doesn't change the need for the bulb.

I am not sure why you shouldn't or can't convert the front side marker lights. One of my vehicles has them in the front side marker lights and they work fine.
Agreed. They are just lights. I know some folks have had problems with LEDs due to poor grounds that were good enough to work standard light bulbs, but when everything is right, LEDs work just fine.

carter262

I going to hijack this thread a little, but hopefully it will help.

I have been gathering a list of what bulbs go in what lights.

All my reading has stated that all the cluster lights are 168 bulbs with the exception of the Gen 2 light which is a 194. I have been going through he TM 20-P. It only shows 3 of the lights for the cluster. Out of those 3 two are 194 bulbs. One is the Gen 2 light and the other appears to be behind where the fuel gauge and speedometer meet. The 168 appears to be in the top right corner if you were looking at you cluster from the driver's seat.

Does this mean that I have been reading wrong on here? Are all of the or at least most supposed to be 194s?

Unluckyfett

I going to hijack this thread a little, but hopefully it will help.

I have been gathering a list of what bulbs go in what lights.

All my reading has stated that all the cluster lights are 168 bulbs with the exception of the Gen 2 light which is a 194. I have been going through he TM 20-P. It only shows 3 of the lights for the cluster. Out of those 3 two are 194 bulbs. One is the Gen 2 light and the other appears to be behind where the fuel gauge and speedometer meet. The 168 appears to be in the top right corner if you were looking at you cluster from the driver's seat.

Does this mean that I have been reading wrong on here? Are all of the or at least most supposed to be 194s?
I put all 194 in the dash lights because it looked like the 168 were getting too warm and the plastic was discolored.

cucvrus

I put all 194 in the dash lights because it looked like the 168 were getting too warm and the plastic was discolored.
After 60 years I am discolored also and my light bulbs are not as bright as they used to be. I don't think different bulbs will make more or less heat. 194 bulbs melt the park light sockets after this amount of time. The plastic and rubber dries and the melting begins. Also poor contacts will build up heat in the sockets and socket contacts. Clean all the connections and everything will be a bit cooler. LED's are a great update. Good Luck.

Last edited:

Unluckyfett

After 60 years I am discolored also and my light bulbs are not as bright as they used to be. I don't think different bulbs will make more or less heat. 194 bulbs melt the park light sockets after this amount of time. The plastic and rubber dries and the melting begins. Also poor contacts will build up het in the sockets and socket contacts. Clean all the connections and everything will be a bit cooler. LED's are a great update. Good Luck.
While I agree with what you say about the contacts and the overall age of the truck, 168 are 4.9 watts vs 194 which are 3.8 watts. 168s will produce more heat. I'm personally not a fan of LEDs in dash lights. I put LEDs in the dash of my CJ7 and I just don't like the look. Just my 2 cents

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks