• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED replacement no flashing

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I removed and replaced all the lights today, checked grounds, made sure grounds were clean and secured- no change. I've noticed that when the headlights are on now, the turn signal "marker light" feature doesn't work on the right signal, meanwhile the left signal doesn't blink and sometimes doesn't even come on. Whatever's going on here doesn't appear to be consistent, either.

I did notice that my flasher is a Swiss Controls Solid State 5945-00-789-3706, so that may be part of the issue.

Is changing to the 5945-01-584-9793 likely to solve this issue? Worth the $300 to try?
I am not sure why anyone would pay 300 for a flasher unit, it does the exact same job as the little tin box that went click, click, click under the dash of your old Maverick.
There are literally tons of LED rated 24V flasher units around.

SmartDrug

I am not sure why anyone would pay 300 for a flasher unit, it does the exact same job as the little tin box that went click, click, click under the dash of your old Maverick.
There are literally tons of LED rated 24V flasher units around.
Put simply, I don’t want to spend the next few months chasing down this gremlin if I can throw a few hundred bucks at it and be done with it. If the $20 24v flasher under the dash of my maverick had a cannon plug and worked with LEDs, I’d be down. If I need to fabricate an interface for it, spend 5 hours under the dash trying to get it to work, spend another few hours rechecking everything when it doesn’t, miss spending time with my small kids, foregoing other projects, etc. it’s not worth it to me versus the small monetary outlay.

So back to the question, does anyone have experience with this new flasher, designed for LEDs, curing odd Light gremlins or should I be looking elsewhere?

SmartDrug

So I went ahead and bought the $350 LED flasher and have the exact same results. Still no flashing on the front corner when the headlights are on, when the headlights are off, the dead light blinks, but is at a lower brightness than the other point despite being the same light. I have checked the grounds at all four points, checked the grounds at the marker lights, etc. Does ANYONE have any idea where to look next?

SmartDrug

I figured it out. I did what I should have done at the start. I pulled the suspect turn signal and ran it raw off the battery, bypassing the harness altogether. It was doing some odd flickering despite reading a steady voltage, so I took off the other side to see if it was repeatable on that side - nope. They give off totally different amounts of light despite being run through the same power. On one setting the suspect light sometimes wouldn't turn on at all. This led me to do more digging only to discover that these lights, from PBSalesinc. are unmarked Chinese knockoffs despite them being listed by the NSN.

I have owned them for months but only got around to mounting them two weeks ago, so I tried reaching out to the seller, PB Sales, he said there was nothing he could do. So I slapped the old ones back in and called it a day, at least my genuine Grote rear LEDs work. Now to see if Kascar will refund that $310 flasher I didn't need. I'll be posting a new thread about PB Sales at some point, but buyer beware when it comes to Paul Bagga and PB Sales, test what you receive when you get it. I spent a lot of time and a fair amount of money on this headache, all of which could have been avoided.

C'est la vie`

Bill Nutting

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for the reminder that testing a device with a known power source can save a lot of time and money. This symptom had me going. I don’t know if I would have thought to remove the lights and simply connect them to the battery to see if they were the cause. Well done!
the other thing I am beginning to understand is LED lights are not created equal and they are not always the supper reliable device we have been told they are… Some are, some are not.