• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Led Taillight

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I purchased one used LED taillight by trucklite that is allegedly working. The old composite light had 4 wires. The new one has 5. I connected all 4 wires and no lights, the 5 th wire was marked ground with no number so I grounded it and no lights. No marker, tail, turn- nothing.aua

I do have the newer style flasher with the newer style plastic turn signal switch and a standard 3 lever light switch. Can you only have led on one side? It this light toast or is there something else to it?

Does the "extra" wire marked ground supposed to be used also?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can check it by hooking the ground to to negative on a battery and taking 1 wire at a time and hooking to the positive to test the light.

rrrr

Make sure you have a good ground. I just put LED's on both my trucks. With just tail lights no issues, everything worked with my solid state flasher. Once I put on the front my flasher would no longer work. I got a replacement flasher from Eriks' and it all works great.

Nonotagain

Ground the wire with the ring on it to one of the light mounting bolts. The LED lights require a seperate ground wire.

Inside of the light there is a pin out of the lights wiring.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Sounds like a ground issue. The only other possibility would be voltage (12V light vs. 24V). This assumes the prior wiring was good.

I redid the entire back of my truck....and a bad ground caused an issue on my center LED lights.
This is wrong, the military LEDs are "ömnivolt", 10-30v is what they work on.

Danl

Danl M915A1

This is wrong, the military LEDs are "ömnivolt", 10-30v is what they work on.
You are Rite, and ther is no talk in this post about a tester, This thing can not be fixed without a tester.. is ther power or not, how many oms for ground

3dAngus

I just bought some of the military Humvee flat taillights on a popular auction site for $20 each.
I believe they will attach to my buckets on my deuce. They are 12-30vdc operation and have the wires with the bucket clips on them in the traditional manner.

I'm not sure if they will be parking, brakes, emergency, and blinker or not, but there are enough wires on them for sure for all. This will essentially be an experiment for me to see if they are form fit and function replacement for the lens on the taillight buckets currently mounted on all MVs and trailers. For $20 apiece, I thought it was worth a try.

I had trouble with the .gif image uploading, so here is the dimension link.
You can see in the drawing, they are NOT bucket lights like most are. The seller says they will work in a M35A2. We'll see.

Attachments

Last edited:

markmontana

3D- please start a thread about your front LED installs. I have some ready to install- but found they are not plug and play like the rears. I paid $40 each for mine and thought that was an OK price :cry:

3dAngus

I don't have any for the front, but I'll order some now and try it out, and do a thread for both front and back, listing the problems along the way. Someone has probably already done it. Search is NOT my friend. I believer the Humvee front lights are cheaper, but you have to have the buckets for the front too, just like the back. Then again, they may not fit at all. Mark, as this is a special request, I'll PM you and let you know when I start the thread for you to follow.

Danl

Danl M915A1

Led lights out front. I don't Know if thay come in the form of a seal beam, the led lights i run out front, mounts like a black out light on the fender. ther is two wires hot and ground no high or low beam. the Led light are brighter run cool. Jest enought heat to melt off snow when winter use. not enought heat to melt ice that well. Thay are bright to light up work area and work well for snow plowing nice and bright but they don't beam far

jw4x4

I just converted my front signals to LED (courtesy Recovry4x4). Remove the entire signal bucket from truck. Take off the lens and remove the screws (gotta pry the little wire keepers apart to get the screws out. Gut the housing by removing the screws that hold the bulb mounts. They are set up with rubber anti-vibration mounts. Unplug the 2 grounds from the mounting studs. Remove the directional signal assy and the BO assy. When the housing is empty, you can install the led lens assy. I grounded mine onto the outside mounting stud. If you have composite buckets, the second form top pair of mounting screws will not line up. I just have 3 screws for now, gonna find some metal front buckets. They aren't sealed tight, but that is not an issue because the lens is sealed on the inside.