• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED turn lights won't blink.

zoto6ixty

I just installed the two front LED turn lights yesterday, but now they won't flash. When I had the LEDs on just the rear and the regular one on the front they worked just fine. I am thinking the difference in the amps are now too low to work the original flasher. Anyone got a fix for this with out changing the turn signal assembly on the column?

Thanks

cjbrunner

Electronic Flasher

The old style flashers relied on the amperage draw to generate heat, the heat would cause the contact to open (the strip would cool), the contact would make ... blink blink blink .. :) Really simple idea until it doesn't work.

Find an electronic type flasher - they work with a timer circuit.

zoto6ixty

That's what I thought too, I guess I was looking for a in line solution so I could keep the stock switch on the column.

Does anyone know of a in-line resistor I could use?

Thanks

Jersey4x4

or just add a resistor to the front or rear lights to allow them to blink. I went to all LED lights on my bike and went to an electronic flasher and they still did not blink. I added a small resistor to the left and to the right turn circuits and it worked fine. No need to change the turn switch or flasher if the resistors are added.

I just installed the two front LED turn lights yesterday, but now they won't flash. When I had the LEDs on just the rear and the regular one on the front they worked just fine. I am thinking the difference in the amps are now too low to work the original flasher. Anyone got a fix for this with out changing the turn signal assembly on the column?

Thanks

Hey zoto6ixty. This is a typical problem that has been around long before LEDs. If the "blinker" module plugs into the same socket, like a civilian vehicle, just get the one that is specified for any number of bulbs. I used to use this one for my vehicles that I used to pull trailers with. It would blink (make the same clicking sound) without any bulbs attached.

If you have a very experienced parts guy at your local truck stop they should be able to find one for the 24V system. If the military connections are different just shear off the base of the military one and solder on wires to a socket for the new one to fashion an adapter.
I avoid cutting the original vehicle's wires unless I absolutely have to.[thumbzup]

e

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just hooked all my LEDs up and everything worked. NG last used my truck in 2004, don't even know what flasher is in there.

zoto6ixty

Where can I get them?

or just add a resistor to the front or rear lights to allow them to blink. I went to all LED lights on my bike and went to an electronic flasher and they still did not blink. I added a small resistor to the left and to the right turn circuits and it worked fine. No need to change the turn switch or flasher if the resistors are added.
Thanks that's what I was hoping to do, any idea where and what type To get. Also is there a level of resistance I need to get?

Thanks again.

deuceaid

Banned
Thanks that's what I was hoping to do, any idea where and what type To get. Also is there a level of resistance I need to get?

Thanks again.
Yeah,,,, if you have an ohm meter then test the old bulb to find out how many ohms of a resister you will need,, (Has to be the turn element which will be the one with higher resistance), then get something close to it

( say manybe 150 -220 ohm-----for example) ( could even be 47 ohms I am not giving you a know number just guessing in the ball park)......... then find a resister rated for 1 to 5 watts( not 1/4 or 1/2 watt) and wire it in parallel ( NOT SERIES) with a bulb on each side...... it will work but you should find out the ohms of the bulbs ( I would but my truck is not in town right now unless you want to wait a few days.

Any more questions PM Me...good luck Jason

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks