• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LED vs HID headlights

trider

I am looking to replace my deuce headlights with either LED or HID headlights. I have bobbed my deuce and am making an off road toy out of it so DOT approved is not an issue and it will no be used on the road. I have searched on here and read countless threads about HID and LED headlights but could find one straight up asking which ones you prefer and why. Its my understanding LED will have a plastic lense and may not get hot enough to melt snow and ice. I live in Oklahoma so it doesn't snow but once or twice a year here so that is not an issue. I am wanting something very bright. I see Truck-Lite has LEDs that are being used in many current military vehicles but I havent heard how HID is going to hold up to the vibration and bouncing around in a deuce. Let me know which you prefer and why please.

M-35A3

The trucklites i have are very bright and seem to be very sturdy so far. These lights are a massive improvement over the stock ones of course , i cant say much about HIDs as ive never had any experience with them . If you watch ebay you can find the trucklites in the $200-$300 range also the LED lightbars are coming down in price too so that would help with the dark spots where the stock lights are mounted. Since your doing pure off road i would go with LEDs as from what i have heard they are very shock resistant and on these trucks that would help alot .

Last edited:

spartan_185

I would recommend the Truck-Lite Led headlights. They are super tough and I have had them in everything from a Deuce to a M930 dump truck that was worked pretty regular in off road conditions. I've never had a failure to date. I believe I could probably fill a dumpster with the burned out stock bulbs I have went through in the same conditions.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I like my LEDs but have seen many lose an emitter. I think your best bet would be to get the H4 and look for a color bulb that is close to the LED color.

welldigger

Get the HID's!!!! This is coming from someone who is currently running truck lite led headlights. They suck on low beam. On high beam they are pretty darn bright. I only recommend getting truck lite headlights if you can get them for a good deal. As in $200 or less for a pair that is n.o.s.

The h4 halogen upgrade and HID's are superior in cost, brightness, and to be quite honest, reliability. As many on this forum know I am by no means a fan of truck lites military products. I buy them if I'm getting a stupidity good deal. Otherwise I won't touch their products. Their tail lights and front park lights are famous for crapping out for no apparent reason. The headlights seem a little better in terms of reliability but they still have a long documented history of failure long before their stated lifespan.

I have gone as far as cutting the light assemblies open to attempt a repair. Plain and simple, it is almost impossible due to their construction and choice of potting material.

I don't think either are worth the cost. I did the H4 upgrade and have I think 70/90w bulbs and they are freakin bright. I have no more then $50 into it. I can't imagine spending more then that on headlights that fail or could fail. New H4 bulbs are like $25.

4XDesign

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey guys I did some HID's on my deuce. I got 6000k 35w high low 24v wiring and bulbs. The eBay guy is thinking he sent me a 12volt kit because it's smoked the bulbs and housings. We are working in getting warranty stuff straight he is sending the proper bulbs and wiring. My question is has anyone had any problem with the housings not holding up to the heat of the HID's? Or can anyone recommend some h4 housings that they have had sucess with? I know about LED's and Those Military guys. If I do not have success this time around I will go for a different option. Any assistance will be appreciated thanks. J

I have LEDs for headlights and added LED route clearance lights to the front that are wired into the high beams of the headlights. I love them, but I have not looked at or seen on another vehicle the HIDs. I have had no problems with the LEDs.

bonedoc

I picked up the H4 headlights from those military guys. I'm sorry I have a jeep JK and they are known for horrible headlights as well. Just can't see sinking hundreds into it. On my JK I just swapped out the bulbs for much brighter Silverstar plus and it was night and day.

muthkw25

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Prefer LEDs. They draw less power, last much longer, are brighter than stock, and have the "cool factor." They can be pricey but if you watch for them, you can get them reasonably cheap. I know trucklite also sells LED flood lights that are 24V and are even brighter than the headlights. They tend to be pricey but it all depends on your budget and what you prefer.

welldigger

Prefer LEDs. They draw less power, last much longer, are brighter than stock, and have the "cool factor." They can be pricey but if you watch for them, you can get them reasonably cheap. I know trucklite also sells LED flood lights that are 24V and are even brighter than the headlights. They tend to be pricey but it all depends on your budget and what you prefer.
I'm not so sure they "last longer". When leds die they are dead. When a bulb or ballast (hid) goes you just replace the part that's bad. Not the entire assembly. Not to mention truck lite has a rather dubious reputation for failure. Grote doesn't seem a whole lot better. I could build a better led circuit in my garage than what truck lite offers. For a fraction of the cost to boot.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks