• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Left Blinker works and then stops…

hambo

My right blinker works fine all the time. However, my left blinker will blink maybe 4 or 5 times and then stop for maybe a minute or so while im at a stop light, and then it starts blinking again. When I turn the blinker off then on again while its not blinking, it doesnt start blinking again. Any idea why it works, then stops, then starts working again?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did you remember to check your blinker fluid during your last PMCS?

blinker.jpgBlinker-Fluid.jpg

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has it always done this? Just started? Any changes made lately?

61sleepercab

Does right and left turn signals share the same flasher unit? If so, problem in wiring or turn switch. Can you jump power to turn signal circuit and bypass lever turn signal switch? If light works and stays on something wrong in turn signal hand switch. Those are my first tests that come to mind. Mark

hambo

It has done this off and on since I bought the truck last november. I do not have leds. When I turn on the left signal, when the button flashes, the signals work, when its not flashing, they don't work. When I was driving tonight I watched it more closely and it will flash and turn off then flash 2 or 3 times then turn off then flash 5 or 6 times next time it starts flashing again. Basically, the amount of time it randomly flashes varies

welldigger

You either have a bad ground or your flasher is going out. My flasher flashed intermittently before it finally died. Though it did it on both sides.

hambo

Okay I will check the ground. Would it just be the ground at the flasher unit or could it possible be the one at the tailight assembly?

welldigger

I would clean all of them. Make sure you have good star washers under all of the bolts.

Another thing to check is the wiring and sockets inside the light housing itself. You may have a loose bulb rattling around in there.

oddshot

Another thing to check is the wiring and sockets inside the light housing itself. You may have a loose bulb rattling around in there.
Also check to see if you have a riveted connection that has come loose in the light housings. A while back my flashers started giving me the same type problems. I took my housing apart and found so many loose connections that I took ALL of the the light housings off the truck, drilled out ALL the rivets in them and put the connections back together with small bolts, nuts and flat washers. It took a little time, but I haven't had a problem with them since.

rustystud

I agree with the previous posts that you have a bad ground on that left circuit. If it was the flasher unit, both sides would act up. I have found in my years working on vehicles that 80% of electrical problems can be traced to bad grounds. I once had a 1992 Celebrity from my father that would just stop running. Then a few days later it would run just fine for months. I finally got the service manual and really dug into it. After months of going through that whole wiring system and ECM I found it had a bad ground through the main ECM unit ! I had to cut the grounds and solder in a designated ground to the battery from the ECM. After that it ran fine for years till I finally sold it.

Coffey1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My truck was doing same weid crap. What ended up being on my truck was the connection on the bottom of turn signal lever was loose.

hambo

The wire insulation is good condition im pretty sure. I'll double check when I get a chance to go work on the truck. Hopefully its just a bad ground like you guys are saying

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks