• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

left front headlight burning out frequently

turbovr6jetta

I think if you had a charging voltage high enough to burn out a headlight repeatedly, it would burn out the other. Same with the vibration caused by idle speed. Vibration issues caused by improper or bad mounting/mounts could be isolated to just one side.

RANDYDIRT

Ok, I will check the ground and see if anything is loose or corroded. But as mentioned before, bad ground usually causes the light to not work, not to burn out.
Not necessarily. Any resistance raises the heat in the entire circuit. A complete open in the ground circuit will cause a no light situation. A partial ground will increase the heat built in the whole circuit, and guess what? the element in your lamp is the most fragile thing in that circuit.
Think of it this way... If you had a hose with a weak spot in it, and you were to increase the resistance like letting go of the handle of the nozzle, where would the hose fail??? Well electricity is just like water. If you impede the flow of electrons with a bad connection, it's like pinching the hose. Something will fail, and physics tells us that the weakest point will breach first.

Randy

Blacksunshyne

I had this exact problem, it drove me crazy trying to find out the problem. My idle is at 850 - 900, I cleaned all my grounds, tried everything but it kept burning up just the one headlight after about 10 minutes of use.

I ended up replacing the entire headlight bucket and bulb with a new one. That has worked. I got tired of putting a new $35 light in each time to experiment. It was abit pricey, but much better than continuing to burn out bulbs.

JasonS

Not necessarily. Any resistance raises the heat in the entire circuit. A complete open in the ground circuit will cause a no light situation. A partial ground will increase the heat built in the whole circuit, and guess what? the element in your lamp is the most fragile thing in that circuit.
Think of it this way... If you had a hose with a weak spot in it, and you were to increase the resistance like letting go of the handle of the nozzle, where would the hose fail??? Well electricity is just like water. If you impede the flow of electrons with a bad connection, it's like pinching the hose. Something will fail, and physics tells us that the weakest point will breach first.

Randy
No, if you increase the resistance in a circuit, the current in the circuit drops and with it the I^2R (heating) losses. Motors will increase current draw in weak circuits and burn out. Light bulbs will just burn dim if there is high resistance. However, lght bulbs usually fail at startup and if you have an intermittent ground you are increasing the number of "startups" and chance of failure.

Jake0147

Motors will increase current draw in weak circuits and burn out.
That's valid in some cases, but not a safe blanket statement. Field wound? Permanent magnet? Loaded? Loaded to what percent of capacity? Is the load fixed? Speed dependent? Inversely speed dependent?

Food for thought only, as it's pretty much irrelevant as far as light bulbs are concerned.

And for the record Jason... I'm picking on you ONLY because you've summed up what's been touched on several times, and short of holding a complete physics class, I'd like to expand on it just a bit.

Light bulbs will just burn dim if there is high resistance. However, lght bulbs usually fail at startup and if you have an intermittent ground you are increasing the number of "startups" and chance of failure.
This is valid, with conditions. The bulb is more likely to fail at startup but it has nothing to do with the electrical current being present or not. The current causes heat, and it is due to the sudden change in temperature of the filament that it fails most easily on startup.
In automotive applications, many conventional light bulbs today are duty cycle driven to control their intensity, and it does not affect their life span.

In a simple circuit (such as deuce and a halfs are noted for) a poor ground will result in less current flow, dividing the voltage drop, effectively reducing the voltage available for heat (light) production, and you get a dim bulb.
An intermittent ground (or intermittent B+ does the same), may or may not be at fault for bulb failures. If the failure is too rapid to see in the light from the bulb, will not affect the light's longevity, as the filament does not have a chance to cool. Essentially, if it remains hot (glowing) between "shots" of electricity, then the on/off cycle fatigue is eliminated. For an intermittent electrical connection to affect a conventional light bulb's longevity, it need not have the bulb completely off and cool, but it absolutely will be a clearly, easily visible condition, and you will see that easily in the form of a flickering light bulb.

If you drive a car with a duty cycle controlled light anywhere, you probably dont' even know it. Here's another example- A conventional household light bulb screwed into a conventional socket in your home. Those are a DC device essentially no different than an automotive bulb, except that the standardized bases are different. They only work when current is actually flowing through them. If you've got 60 cycle AC power in your home (and in the US most of us do...) then that light bulb flickers on and off one hundred and twenty times each second that it is turned on, all the while having it's polarity reversed sixty times each second that it is turned on. Does not bother it a bit, because the filament never cools.

Bottom line- If you don't see a flicker, then the ONLY electrical issue that's gonna cause early bulb failure is excessive voltage.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks