• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

left my five ton M931 A2 parked for four months rained constantly high humidity Two rear most wheels wont turn

Jericho

Morning fellas ladies yes i know, sinfull . finally took the post second retirement vacation to the west . Returned four months later , 5 ton cranked right up BUT, my two rear most tires wont turn . high range. low range. Usually I just rap them with a sledge hammer and they "brake" loose . NO dice today. I know what the T.O, says, But i also know there are some smart fellas out there Any suggestions on how to get them to rotate , break loose with out having to pull the tire and hub assembly ? with the 931 just not a lot of weight on the rear end just slides the tires along .

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Hitting on the Inside bottom works.

But you can chain it to a tree so when the front tandem goes to dig the torque will go thru that rear axle and it will turn atleast one wheel over for sure. Use a decent chain or cable.

If you have a soldier B have them in the cab on the gas while you beat on it while it's pulling

Jericho

But you can chain it to a tree so when the front tandem goes to dig the torque will go thru that rear axle and it will turn atleast one wheel over for sure. Use a decent chain or cable.

If you have a soldier B have them in the cab on the gas while you beat on it while it's pulling
thanks Simp, you are, as always, a valued resource. Ill try it as usual inspection expired while i was gone schedualed in tommorow MAYBE lol thank you sir

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter

If he puts all the t-bolts in the brake cans on that axle with the parking brakes released and gets under there with a medium flat prybar and pop the shoe loose from the drum with it not haveing any pressure on it make it easier ?

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
If he puts all the t-bolts in the brake cans on that axle with the parking brakes released and gets under there with a medium flat prybar and pop the shoe loose from the drum with it not haveing any pressure on it make it easier ?
Brakes released the air is already pushing the spring back the same as the caging bolt does

chucky

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Brakes released the air is already pushing the spring back the same as the caging bolt does
copy that ive only had my truck rust /freeze on one hub and going back and forth rocking it on gravel finally broke loose ive not had one of these typ apart just know how to work on s cam stuff my shoes are thick so im in no rush to dig into this style thanks for the info

Jericho

well got the tires to turn Backed it 20 feet to level ground, rears just slid in the dirt. Banged on them some more with a maul around the drums , Passenger side let loose when i creeped forward with a moderate POP . about normal for a frozen drum Banged on the drivers side a few more times with the maul Pulled forward with three loud pops and a shimmy in the length of the truck. Felt a sensation like a stripped spline slipping by . Now the truck will only go ahead or reverse a few feet then it locks up. Slipped transfer case into neutrual , input shaft turns in forward and reverse gear no real grinding or knashing of teeth . but attempting to pull truck backward with my jeep it still only goes forward or back a few feet then locks up . Transfer case ? or a jammed up brake assembly ? stripped diff to wheel shaft . I cant imagine breaking a diff , just too massive . I have stripped shafts om my old ford F 700. Transfer case Plausable, ? any quick tips on how to determine the offender all I can think of is to jack it up disconnect drive shaft transfer case out put and front and rear drive and rotate assemblies to see whats locking up I know the transfer case has a bad reputation but really frozen shoe breaking a gear or bearing assembley in the T case ? Thoughts ? only external indication is what appears to be a difference in the distance from the drum and the backing plate on the passengers side rear on one spot its about a 1/4 inch space 180 0r s0 out its nearly 1/2 inch

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
well got the tires to turn Backed it 20 feet to level ground, rears just slid in the dirt. Banged on them some more with a maul around the drums , Passenger side let loose when i creeped forward with a moderate POP . about normal for a frozen drum Banged on the drivers side a few more times with the maul Pulled forward with three loud pops and a shimmy in the length of the truck. Felt a sensation like a stripped spline slipping by . Now the truck will only go ahead or reverse a few feet then it locks up. Slipped transfer case into neutrual , input shaft turns in forward and reverse gear no real grinding or knashing of teeth . but attempting to pull truck backward with my jeep it still only goes forward or back a few feet then locks up . Transfer case ? or a jammed up brake assembly ? stripped diff to wheel shaft . I cant imagine breaking a diff , just too massive . I have stripped shafts om my old ford F 700. Transfer case Plausable, ? any quick tips on how to determine the offender all I can think of is to jack it up disconnect drive shaft transfer case out put and front and rear drive and rotate assemblies to see whats locking up I know the transfer case has a bad reputation but really frozen shoe breaking a gear or bearing assembley in the T case ? Thoughts ? only external indication is what appears to be a difference in the distance from the drum and the backing plate on the passengers side rear on one spot its about a 1/4 inch space 180 0r s0 out its nearly 1/2 inch
Loosen the axle shafts and slide em out on the rear axle, no need to remove them just enough so it'll clear the spider gear. Then see if it locks up. In the chunk or in the wheel

Jericho

Jericho

Loosen the axle shafts and slide em out on the rear axle, no need to remove them just enough so it'll clear the spider gear. Then see if it locks up. In the chunk or in the wheel
Simp your quick !!!! does it sound like a xfer case failure to you ? if it were my old 700 i would be looking at an axle drive shaft Getting dark here will pull it in the morning and get back to you , thanks for all your insight guys

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Simp your quick !!!! does it sound like a xfer case failure to you ? if it were my old 700 i would be looking at an axle drive shaft Getting dark here will pull it in the morning and get back to you , thanks for all your insight guys
Usually they bust apart or the shift fork bends. Rarely a bad gear inside. I've burned one to a crisp one time. Never had a bearing failure or gear fail otherwise.

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
He shouldn’t have been able to drag both back wheels 20’ with the intermediate axle, unless something is broke from the intermediate output back?

Jericho

evening gents. Interesting day so I pulled all four rear wheel drive shafts. gently tugged the truck on to a flat spot with my wifes jeep felt no resistence. keep in mind , all four wheel drive shafts are out t- case in high , so front wheels arnt engaged. moved it about 50 feet. observed input shaft to transfer case turns when forward and reverse are engaged out but in high range no output shaft to rear wheels turns. BUT in low range front wheels turn and out put shaft to rear wheels turns into first set of trucks and thru to second set of truck . so I just reinstallled the wheel drive shafts and put it to bed for the night more trouble shooting tommorrow but looks like a t case issue ? ! splines were fine on the wheel axle shafts . any thoughts

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks