• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal headlight height

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Has anyone ever had their "collar fealt" by a LEO/DoT/Trooper etc., or even inspection problems with the height of the headlights? This is not even regarding lifted trucks, bigger tyres/'stumpies' etc...

Now that the vehicles are in private hands and not subject to in service exemptions, it does appear to be a potential - all subject to differing state laws naturally.

OR.. do people get regularly flashed by oncoming traffic? (Not being a speed machine, high beams don't need to be set that far ahead I guess)

I have searched the forums and nothing jumps out in the thread titles and I have not had the problem rear it's ugly head yet... But could see the day when someone with a 'stick up their....' want's to make an issue.

mcmullag

not seen as a problem

I have not seen that be a problem. All the time I have been on here, haven't seen any threads about that. I have the lights on all the time when out with the truck and they seem kinda dim during the day. I try not to have the truck out at night, it is too hard for others to see with the flat paint. I dont want somebody to run into me b/c they cant see it.

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
visibility

I have driven my m923 on the interstate at night several times with no problems. I have the standard incandescent headlights, They are not too bright or too high. The headlight bucket is adjustable just like a civy truck.

At Fork Polk during the daylight I have seen humvees with the LED's on the headlight and boy do those make a difference. You can quite clearly tell one with them and with out. I did not see them at night but suspect they could be an eyesore or create the attention you mentioned since they are so bright.

On mine I use the dual lens lolipop lights. I changed the rear lens from red to amber as I wanted amber on both sides. Napa or any truck store has the lens. I also changed or cleaned the side marker lights. On the rear I used red 3m reflective tape to make the "L" on each corner as I know some mv did that for a while. For the tail lights, I have new composite lens as the old ones were all scratched up, dull, and had paint overspray.

There is a real simple mod to run the front marker light off the side clearance light so the front has a lighted lens all the time like civy vehicles.

With all that, My truck is lit up at night very clearly and the reflectors also add to it. I do not hesitate at night to drive it and feel it is just as visible as anything else on the road. A good pre trip inspection at night to make sure everything is lit is a standard safety precaution.

Good Driving! :driver:

saddamsnightmare

July 24th, 2012.

Zebedee:

If you didn't modify the truck, you have no worries. the truck(s) in question are grandfathered because of the built date and contract design specifications. Additionally they are also covered by the exemptions noted from the U.S.Attorney General due to the only applicable constraints are the original government contract, which obviously your truck passed, or it would not have been accepted as inspected and paid for by Uncle Sam. As long as they are set to the specifications in the -10 and -20, you are good to go.:razz:

jw4x4

I have LED headlights on my 932. They provide excellent night time vision without blinding or bothering oncoming traffic. After replacing the stock signals with LED's, I just couldn't resist a nocturnal road test. I can report the results as nothing short of outstanding. And I doubt the height of the headlights will be an issue, as the vehicle is still "as built".

Gruemeyer

As a retired LEO.. Most states (there are exceptions)are not concerned with height of headlights. Ours are no higher than average semi-truck.. The concern is if they are aimed correctly. IE: not to high as to blind on coming traffic.. I get head lights flashed at me more when riding my Can Am than Big Momma.

At the paint peeling speeds of Big Momma I never run on the road with High Beams.. This is not to say I will not run with the 40" Ridge Industires LED light Bar once it is attached. Of course only on back country roads to avoid damaging another Deer. The last one left hair all over the front bumper.

Truckoholic

I asked a California highway patrol officer about it, and he said not to worry about it basically. He said "The chances of you getting pulled over in that for a headlight height issue, I would say are VERY slim". The headlight height law is actually a FEDERAL standard. So in the California Vehicle Code anyway, it says something to the effect that California adopts the federal standard which is 54 inches when measured at the center of the headlight when the vehicle is unladen on level ground. My M925A1's headlights are something like 62 inches right now.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
A SPAYED truck being moded running on 1600s which would make it OUTSIDE the -10/20 specs could get a headlight ticket

quickfarms

July 24th, 2012.

Zebedee:

If you didn't modify the truck, you have no worries. the truck(s) in question are grandfathered because of the built date and contract design specifications. Additionally they are also covered by the exemptions noted from the U.S.Attorney General due to the only applicable constraints are the original government contract, which obviously your truck passed, or it would not have been accepted as inspected and paid for by Uncle Sam. As long as they are set to the specifications in the -10 and -20, you are good to go.:razz:
This is the legal answer.

If the truck is in it military form and not modified into a lifted civilian truck then it is exempt.

As long as the headlights are aimed correctly you should not have an issue.

zebedee

conceptualizer at large
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Headlight

Thanks for all the +ve responces. I have no intention to castrait and lift my truck, paint it pink etc., so I guess there's nothing to worry about.

I too have LED's, haven't installed them yet... Though I was wondering what to do with the old bulb headlights. Maybe extra rear work lights/reverse lights splitting the high/low beam functions... but then I pondered about putting them in 7"light buckets, with brush bars and hanging them back from and UNDER the front bumper for more spread and or fog......

Attachments

jwb399331

I see I am bringing up an old thread...After passing an inspection twice before, today the DMV decided to fail my un-modified M923 for two reasons, the headlights were too high, and there were no clearance lights on the roof of my canvas top. The inspector suggested that I cut new headlights into the front bumper. Is there a place anybody knows of that specifically says that these trucks are exempt if they are within their design specifications? If one were to cut new headlights into the bumper, and do away with the originals, wouldn't that make this a modified vehicle, allowing them to tack more ridiculous requirements onto it?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I see I am bringing up an old thread...After passing an inspection twice before, today the DMV decided to fail my un-modified M923 for two reasons, the headlights were too high, and there were no clearance lights on the roof of my canvas top. The inspector suggested that I cut new headlights into the front bumper. Is there a place anybody knows of that specifically says that these trucks are exempt if they are within their design specifications? If one were to cut new headlights into the bumper, and do away with the originals, wouldn't that make this a modified vehicle, allowing them to tack more ridiculous requirements onto it?
Read post #1 of this thread
Federal sticker

quickfarms

How is it registered?

jwb399331

The truck is registered as any other truck would be, with a C tag. My state doesn't offer many different types of registration for these types of vehicles. It's interesting to me how they can decide to fail something that has passed previously with no problems or changes to the truck.

quickfarms

The truck is registered as any other truck would be, with a C tag. My state doesn't offer many different types of registration for these types of vehicles. It's interesting to me how they can decide to fail something that has passed previously with no problems or changes to the truck.
With commercial tags the dot regulations apply and you are required to make all of your lights comply to current standards.

jwb399331

Guess that's what I'll be doing then. Hopefully they won't come up with too many other things to stick me with between now and the next inspection

Csm Davis

Why not get a antique tag, are you using the truck for business? If not it should qualify under your state law,
Antique Vehicle, Law and Division Procedures
Title 21, Section 2196
And it can not be modified from stock. So no pesky new lights.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks