• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal Issues that could effect all MV Owners

zout

KENT - I have no clue what that word is - BUT I can tell ya I already looked up camping sites and had $$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$$ saved away to take the squirrels camping for a weekend. I cannot wait at least to this weekend head to Sonics for a Blast and an AMERICAN HOT DOG and just watch folks drive by being clueless.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ummm...my geography may be a tad off but isn't the Parthenon somewhere around Athens, Greece?? I DO understand that "experienced" fellers have memory issues....:beer:
Boy, talk about surpreme brain farts!!!! Naturally I meant to say the "Colosseum" or maybe Papa John's Pizza.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Still no tag: so the lady at the state tells me my insurance co is not putting in the vin correctly, not enough numbers.... what the.... and its not the states problem!! Now my insurance co has to call the state and try to get it done next week. Very frustrating. (back story: insurance has to be electronic is what I am being told)
I was told by DMV in Towns County that the standard procedure when you use a Serial Number instead of a 17-digit VIN is to place zeros in front of the S/N to make it 17 digits. I have no idea what you would do if the S/N was more than 17 digits. Probably very unlikely anyway.

Robo McDuff

In memorial Ron - 73M819
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This thing is going to happen on a case by case basis and there will be different problems pop up at every different tag office until the system settles down and folks get familiar with it. We are just going to have to grin and bear it and work our way thru the issues.

When I registered Proud American (no title, too old in GA) the DMV kicked back the initial request due to the very short serial number the insurance company submitted (and was on the certificate of insurance submitted with the registration request). I took a close up pic of the data plate with the serial# and had a Sergeant from the Auto Theft Unit certify the plate was on the truck and correct.

Now...remember, this was years ago and it's possible that some supervisor just pressed the magic button and allowed the registration but I hope that's not the case.

Give it a while folks and just roll with the punches for now...it's gonna take some time.

Remember...Rome wasn't built in a day. I heard it took almost a year!!:beer:
That is why I did not believe all the stories that I could take my truck to the Czech Republic without papers. Too risky. Everybody says no problem until you show up on the doorstep and find out that you just imported 10 ton of scrap metal into the Czech Republic because they will not register the truck.

So I took the long road and had it legalized in the Netherlands, including the Department of Transport "redo" my short VIN number. They kept the short original serial number but stated that for this truck, this is the same as a full 17-positions VIN.

2011 July APK  023.jpg
Getting my short VIN - serial number printed in anew.

That took enough time and effort, but I now have a car with European Union legal type approval. That means EVERY country in the EU has to accept this truck as legal 1973 M51A2 dump truck - tractor as specified in the type approval. They might find it strange, might not like it, but have to accept it. :clinto:

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
That is why I did not believe all the stories that I could take my truck to the Czech Republic without papers. Too risky. Everybody says no problem until you show up on the doorstep and find out that you just imported 10 ton of scrap metal into the Czech Republic because they will not register the truck.
So I took the long road and had it legalized in the Netherlands, including the Department of Transport "redo" my short VIN number. They kept the short original serial number but stated that for this truck, this is the same as a full 17-positions VIN.
View attachment 502369
Getting my short VIN - serial number printed in anew.
That took enough time and effort, but I now have a car with European Union legal type approval. That means EVERY country in the EU has to accept this truck as legal 1973 M51A2 dump truck - tractor as specified in the type approval. They might find it strange, might not like it, but have to accept it. :clinto:
Yup, once again, I say it's best to do what is required to do it legally...once...than to try to side-step the requirements and get by for a while and get blasted or denied later.

hardimpact

Finally totally legal!! Got the insurance issue resolved by having my agent call directly to the state. I went Friday and everything was good and I got my tag. Title was in the mail on Saturday.

Thanks Papabear for the post to use patience. Also Many thanks to the guys that put in so much time to get us straight!

bricksrkids

I'm new to the site and just bought a '92 M923a2. Thank you for all the hard work with the Bill--- strike that; THE NEW LAW.

I haven't picked my truck up yet from MI, but will try to do it this weekend or next.

What do I take to the tag office?
1. I have insurace as of today.
2. The seller is giving me an AZ title that says "bmy".
3. I have a Bill of Sale.

What else will I need to do and what do I take to the tag office?
what kind of tag/registration do I ask for?

Thanks again.

zout

If you have an existing title in hand - your almost home with the process.
Take the title - Current Insurance paper documents and it will hurt to have a NEW T22B form from an inspecting LEO - form is new and you can get it on line - call your local LEO and it is no charge to have the units Data Plates to verify all is correct.

$$$$$ bring lots of it (just kidding) They will go by weight from the existing title - nothing you can do about it.
The plate given will be off this info - unless you want to spend more $$$$ and get a special plate.

Drivers License - needed.

Your truck info is already in the Federal Data Base and it will pull up - all your doing is swapping for a GA title and registration.

Title transfer - advalorum tax - tag fee's - post up when you have it all done if you would please.

MLBHUNTRESS

Take the title - Current Insurance paper documents and it will hurt to have a NEW T22B form from an inspecting LEO - form is new and you can get it on line - call your local LEO and it is no charge to have the units Data Plates to verify all is correct.

$$$$$ bring lots of it (just kidding) They will go by weight from the existing title - nothing you can do about it.
The plate given will be off this info - unless you want to spend more $$$$ and get a special plate.

Your truck info is already in the Federal Data Base and it will pull up - all your doing is swapping for a GA title and registration.

Title transfer - advalorum tax - tag fee's - post up when you have it all done if you would please.
This is so ironic that I got this today because I got my tag renewal notice yesterday. I am not sure what to do next. Just send in the renewal with the money or go to the tag office with the refusal notice and renew the tag so I can get the title and be really legal.
I also have 3 others that I am not sure if I can get the bill of sale for cause its been over a year. If I can not get the bill of sale from GL do you know of a way to fix this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I want to thank everyone who has worked on this. I know it was a royal pain but much appreciated!!
FYI: I did send the state my two cents to help the cause. That was the least I could do.

bricksrkids

Thanks. I hope to get the truck within a week or so and then I'll post what happens in Paulding Co.

zout

MLB - see if I can muddle through this.
You have a tag renewal meaning you have a title to it and registered before they became legal July 1st this year. If they were forced into the system and or mis-represented to get a Title/Registered/Tagged that is between you and the State to answer why - I have no idea how someone is going to explain that one. IF I understand that first question correctly.

If you have 3 more that nothing has been done to - not only will you need BOS but the SF97 - Tax paid - and all the other documents from GL. Along with this a CURRENT T22B form (not the old once that went obsolete in March 2014.) Without these documents you have scrap.

THIS IS NOT LEGAL ADVISE NOR am I an attorney nor trying to represent myself as one. Its is only an explanation of the terms of which the new Bill was passed under.

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
This is so ironic that I got this today because I got my tag renewal notice yesterday. I am not sure what to do next. Just send in the renewal with the money or go to the tag office with the refusal notice and renew the tag so I can get the title and be really legal.
I also have 3 others that I am not sure if I can get the bill of sale for cause its been over a year. If I can not get the bill of sale from GL do you know of a way to fix this. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.
I want to thank everyone who has worked on this. I know it was a royal pain but much appreciated!!
FYI: I did send the state my two cents to help the cause. That was the least I could do.
If you bought the trucks from GL, you should have received a Paid In Full invoice for each truck. This is your Bill of Sale and hopefully you still have the copies. To get a title, you need the SF97 form, which you had to pay extra for. In GA you can't apply for a title on a FMV from GL without an SF97. There is a time limit on how long these are available on previously purchased trucks, but I can't remember how long. If you don't have SF97s, I would immediately call GL and beg for help. As Zout mentioned, you still need the new T22B as well. Good luck!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another difference in the T22B is that the previous version permitted VIN # inspection by either LEO or someone in the tag office. Now it's LEO only. I've never had any issues with the T22B form or the inspection.

bricksrkids

I'm legal in GA. I'm tagged and the title is coming.

I got my 1992 m923a2 home last night and went over the tag office this afternoon. I did NOT have a T22B because I had a clear MI title in my hand.

The clerk found BMY HARSCO in the system pretty quickly.

The cost was $20 for the tag, $15 for the out of state title, and my taxes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks