• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal Issues that could effect all MV Owners

k9lestat

In georgia on a vin varification all the officer/deputy will do is look at your paperwork. Look at the vehicle data plate. Attempt check ncic to see if the vehicle has been entered as stolen. if comes back clear or not on file. He'll sign off on it and its over. Except for the bsing about how he wished he had one.

As far as the vin number not conforming to standards. Many vehicles made before the mid 70s, i believe, only had 13 digits in the states and some fewer over seas. If thats case check with you local tag office to see how the want it done. They supply you with another plate, like in the case of a homemade trailer, too secure to vehicle to show a 17 digit number. Ill do some checking and try to find out.

bricksrkids

In georgia on a vin varification all the officer/deputy will do is look at your paperwork. Look at the vehicle data plate. Attempt check ncic to see if the vehicle has been entered as stolen. if comes back clear or not on file. He'll sign off on it and its over. Except for the bsing about how he wished he had one.

As far as the vin number not conforming to standards. Many vehicles made before the mid 70s, i believe, only had 13 digits in the states and some fewer over seas. If thats case check with you local tag office to see how the want it done. They supply you with another plate, like in the case of a homemade trailer, too secure to vehicle to show a 17 digit number. Ill do some checking and try to find out.
I didn't have an LEO inspect my truck. I just took the title to the tag office and paid my $20 for the tag and walked out with a new tag. I also paid for the new title; $15, and taxes on what I paid.

bricksrkids

I have a question about the new law. I'm looking to buy a rebuilt HMMWV from one of the vendors here on SS. He takes an old HMMWV and totally rebuilds them top to bottom and then sells them on a Bill of Sale. He said the bill of sale will state "off road use only" because in his state they cannot be tagged. He also said he could provide a serial number.

My question: Would I be able to get this tagged as easily as I did my m923a2?

Thanks!

Reckless

In the state of GA you can register ANY vehicle with only a bill of sale if it is 1985 and older. Off-road use only will prevent you from obtaining a tag in just about any state.

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Provided it's a 1985 or older, a BOS will be all you need to get it tagged. However, something in the nature of a HMMWV, you'd want a title for resell out of state.

There's a few paths to get a title then.

1. Bonded title
2. Mechanics lien it, then procure a title from the state.
3. Kit car title it.
4. Title it out of state. (I think Vermont will still issue titles after presenting all the paperwork needed from a BOS)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you register it in GA, other states will issue titles off of the registration. Done it 4 times-no problems.

amgeneral72

Everybody was having trouble with their 5 tons but when I registered the M931 in Cherokee county GA in early 2013 I had no problem. I walked in and out again in 20 min. Cost me $20. But Im thankful for Zout and Swiss and all they have done.:grd:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Everybody was having trouble with their 5 tons but when I registered the M931 in Cherokee county GA in early 2013 I had no problem. I walked in and out again in 20 min. Cost me $20. But Im thankful for Zout and Swiss and all they have done.:grd:
I am guessing the reason that things went so smoothly was that your truck was a AM GENERAL not a BMY truck

MLBHUNTRESS

If you bought the trucks from GL, you should have received a Paid In Full invoice for each truck. This is your Bill of Sale and hopefully you still have the copies. To get a title, you need the SF97 form, which you had to pay extra for. In GA you can't apply for a title on a FMV from GL without an SF97. There is a time limit on how long these are available on previously purchased trucks, but I can't remember how long. If you don't have SF97s, I would immediately call GL and beg for help. As Zout mentioned, you still need the new T22B as well. Good luck!
It is a one year limit and dummy me didn't send off because they wouldn't title the other two. I have a request for the SF97 form and hopefully they will send it. I am going to the DMV tomorrow or the next day with the ejected correspondence that I received and will let you know how it turns out. Thank you all for getting this passed. I know it took a lot of diligence on your part.

Last edited:

undysworld

MLBHUNTRESS,

Okay, I'll toss out an idea here. I don't know GA law, but in Wisconsin, state statute allows a person to bond for title. This means that if you own a vehicle w/o a title, there is a procedure to go through (involving the DMV) whereby the owner purchases a bond (essentially an insurance policy) to provide reimbursement against any possible claim of prior ownership. (DMV is involved in order to check against stolen vehicles and issue the title.)

In case you can't get your truck titled through the normal channels, this may be an option for you to look into. It all depends on the laws in your state.

MLBHUNTRESS

Just a quick update. I went to the DMV with my rejected titling letters. She tried to put them in the system and it gave her some kind of error so she said I need to contact the internal revenue service since they are the ones who rejected them. BUT she renewed my tags!!!! Now I do not have a title for the renewal vehicles but she renewed them!! I requested the SF97 forms and it told me requests were already submitted but I never got them so calling GL tomorrow. Since this is part my stupidity for not doing things in a timely manner this will be my last blog about this unless I have some new and important information that could help someone else. Thanks for all the help guys!

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Georgia, they are not supposed to issue a title for a vehicle that has been previously registered without a title, which sounds like your situation. If you can get an SF97, you can always try to get a title and see what happens. Perhaps pretend it hasn't already been registered, although the VIN will likely give you away. Good luck.

Insuranceman

Georgia SteeleDirector4125 Welcome All RoadAtlanta GA 30349Phone: 1-855-406-5221Email: motorvehicleinquiry@dor.ga.gov

Here is the name of the director of Motor Vehicles for Georgia. Perhaps a call to her toll free number would help. In Texas, owners of heavier units are not required to file with TXDOT or USDOT as they are exempt as "special vehicles." I think you're going to find out that you fit in a "SPECIAL CLASS" and get licensed for the road accordingly. The GEICS system is really only interested in liability insurance on private passenger automobiles....hence the serail number fitting the 17-digit "mold." They can add preceding ZEROs to make it work....but that IS a lot of extra work.

Hope this helps!

Bigjohn066

so I read some of the post but it's 122 pages. I bought a 1992 BMY 934A2 and picked it up on Tuesday. When I paid for it, I paid extra for the Title, because I knew the rule about 1985 or newer needing a title. Is that going to make it easier to get a Tag? I have not received the Title yet. I am thinking it will be a NC title since I got it from Fort Bragg. Never thought about it being a problem. Just figured out last night I have to get a non-commercial License (F) because of weight over 26001 lbs. I have 2 deuces and they were no problem with the Bill of sale.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
so I read some of the post but it's 122 pages. I bought a 1992 BMY 934A2 and picked it up on Tuesday. When I paid for it, I paid extra for the Title, because I knew the rule about 1985 or newer needing a title. Is that going to make it easier to get a Tag? I have not received the Title yet. I am thinking it will be a NC title since I got it from Fort Bragg. Never thought about it being a problem. Just figured out last night I have to get a non-commercial License (F) because of weight over 26001 lbs. I have 2 deuces and they were no problem with the Bill of sale.

Some of the reading is very entertaining :0 So when you go get your tag to register it you will need the SF97 from the auction house. You will take that and then apply for a Georgia Title, get a TAG and pay the new road tax based on Weight of the vehicle, take a picture of your data plate with you. In addition you will pay the new one time advaloreum tax based on the fair market value of the vehicle. That is not in the system so it will be interesting how they value this. I have not registered my newer vehicles yet so not sure how they are going to get the fair market value. I would take in your invoice from the auction house.

Enjoy

k9lestat

Some friends of mine are looking at moving back to ga and the tax is going to kill them. Three vehicles are gonna cost the 15k in taxes. So glad the newest vehicle I have is a 99 suburban.

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Some friends of mine are looking at moving back to ga and the tax is going to kill them. Three vehicles are gonna cost the 15k in taxes. So glad the newest vehicle I have is a 99 suburban.
Not sure about that at 07% tax that would be 215,000 in value? Numbers don't add up

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks