• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legal Issues that could effect all MV Owners

k9lestat

Yeah I thought it was high myself. Just saying what they told me. I don't both of them new vehicles. My mistake. I didn't realize I hit the one(1) key. I'm a fat fingered fool sometimes on this tablet. It was 5k.

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
Some of the reading is very entertaining :0 So when you go get your tag to register it you will need the SF97 from the auction house. You will take that and then apply for a Georgia Title, get a TAG and pay the new road tax based on Weight of the vehicle, take a picture of your data plate with you. In addition you will pay the new one time advaloreum tax based on the fair market value of the vehicle. That is not in the system so it will be interesting how they value this. I have not registered my newer vehicles yet so not sure how they are going to get the fair market value. I would take in your invoice from the auction house. Enjoy
The "new Transportation Impact Fee" should be $100.00 for that vehicle, PLUS the Advaloreum tax which I was assured would be based on the price listed on the Bill of Sale when you bought it from the government, and that is a one time fee....but the "Impact Fee" will continue forward (new fee this year).

Once enough of the vehicles are registered/titled in GA to assess an Advorleum standard (which I doubt) the Bill of Sale will no longer be used.

Remember? We went thru all that when I sold the M923 to Zout and we all went to war to get it registered....and did.

Actually, if you plan to keep a vehicle over 5 years you will save money on the advorleum taxes but the "impact fee" won't go away...and it sucks.

AngryOregonian

I purchased a 1970 M35A2 on Saturday here in Colorado and had one heck of a fight trying to get it registered and plated at the DMV. At first they refused, then they "made an exception" for me because it already had a clean Colorado Title. They even went as far as telling me even though its plated, insured, and otherwise legal, if I get caught driving it on the street that would be the end of it. I went to the local Police Station and they confirmed otherwise, and even laughed about what I was told at the DMV. Who knows what's going to happen in 5 years when my plates expire, but I'm not ok with the direction things are heading here.

Last edited:
I purchased a 1970 M35A2 on Saturday here in Colorado and had one heck of a fight trying to get it registered and plated at the DMV. At first they refused, then they "made an exception" for me because it already had a clean Colorado Title. They even went as far as telling me even though its plated, insured, and otherwise legal, if I get caught driving it on the street that would be the end of it. I went to the local Police Station and they confirmed otherwise, and even laughed about what I was told at the DMV. Who knows what's going to happen in 5 years when my plates expire, but I'm not ok with the direction things are heading here.
As an example of other DMV problems that should not exist... I own a 1946 dump truck. I had no problem registering it. Non 16 digit vin and all.
I guess I was lucky when I bought the M817a1 The registration says manufacturer is US Army, body type M817 ect. I have never been stopped in it.
I think since it is properly registered as what it is I don't get stopped regularly by the police because the DMV mislabeled it as a JEEP.
Since most of the Military vehicle owners in my part of Virginia have gotten to know most of the police dept. Except me. Since they get stopped regularly by the police cars with camera systems. I don't. The camera system reads the tag and displays JEEP. The cop sees that the truck IS NOT A JEEP and stops the truck. I have never heard of any tickets given.

Yet another gross waste of gov't time and money. But the gov't officials don't care about wasting OUR time and money.
And keep in mind there is no such thing as gov't money it is all OUR money they are wasting.
They are supposed to be using it wisely. When are they going to start using it wisely?? I have seen no evidence of wisely yet.

Tinwoodsman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As an example of other DMV problems that should not exist... I own a 1946 dump truck. I had no problem registering it. Non 16 digit vin and all.
I guess I was lucky when I bought the M817a1 The registration says manufacturer is US Army, body type M817 ect. I have never been stopped in it.
I think since it is properly registered as what it is I don't get stopped regularly by the police because the DMV mislabeled it as a JEEP.
Since most of the Military vehicle owners in my part of Virginia have gotten to know most of the police dept. Except me. Since they get stopped regularly by the police cars with camera systems. I don't. The camera system reads the tag and displays JEEP. The cop sees that the truck IS NOT A JEEP and stops the truck. I have never heard of any tickets given.

Yet another gross waste of gov't time and money. But the gov't officials don't care about wasting OUR time and money.
And keep in mind there is no such thing as gov't money it is all OUR money they are wasting.
They are supposed to be using it wisely. When are they going to start using it wisely?? I have seen no evidence of wisely yet.
I would not hold your breath while waiting for that to change. :whistle:

tobyS

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Actually Bob USNR, "our money" is not "ours" nor is it money....it's bookeeping entries mostly + some currency (cash money). Money is made by issuing debt....lots of it. The total of personal and public debt and financial obligations is staggering. Quantifying the amount of debt money used to be kept as an economic indicator M3....but they did away with it, so tracking it's growth would be limited to a few (the FED). Note Rothschild of London was issued 57% of the stocks that comprise the board of governors of the FED and never sold any of it.

Removed the rest.....off topic

Last edited:

silverstate55

Useless
Steel Soldiers Supporter
What with the recent IRS changes to the HGV tax issue, just re-registered my M931A2 in Utah; the reminder postcard that came in the mail had the heading “Requires IRS 2290.” Went online to IRS website to obtain an EIN, was quick and easy (listed myself as Self-Employed and need EIN for banking purposes).

Brought the 2290 & a copy of my EIN form with me to local DMV office, and the clerk glanced at the IRS paperwork and told me “Great, thanks!” before handing it right back to me. Re-registration was quick and easy and I was out the door in less than 5 minutes. Utah doesn’t collect anything for the IRS; it is up to the individual truck owner to file copies with IRS if HGV tax is due. I checked “Exempt due to mileage less than 5,000 miles annually” and no HGV tax is due.

As Simp5872 stated in the Mississippi thread, any truck with a GVW of over 44k-lbs must file the IRS 2290 form, and only EINs are able to be used (no more SSNs). Getting an EIN is quick and easy, and as long as you don’t drive more than 5k-miles per year (or 7500 miles for farm vehicles) you don’t owe any HGV tax. That should satisfy most states’ requirements for the 2290 for vehicle registration/renewal.

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's a British Colombia Canada memo that must have been produced by someone smoking that there Colombian. I don't have all the details yet but.......this is how MV restrictions start in one region if we let them.

I'm new in the situation so I'm not suggesting we call Mr. Geoff Ford the manager at 778-974-5458 just yet.............He is the fella with his name on the paper so we will be introduced at some point. Transportation, tourism and economics will all be affected by yet another restriction so I will post all the contact numbers if needed.

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Commercial Vehicle Safety

& Enforcement Branch

Bulletin # 01-21

February 2, 2021

Vehicle Inspections & Standards

INFORMATION BULLETIN

To All Authorized Inspectors and Inspection Facilities

Re: Ex-Military Utility Vehicle Inspections

The purpose of this bulletin is to clarify that ex-military vehicles meeting the definition of “Utility Vehicles” are not permitted to be inspected under Division 25 of the Motor Vehicle Act Regulation, B.C. Reg. 26/58 (the “MVAR”).

In British Columbia, a “utility vehicle” is a motor vehicle, that at the time the vehicle was manufactured was not designed to conform to the standards prescribed in the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) for motor vehicles designed for use on a highway (MVAR s. 1 definition of “utility vehicle”).

Utility vehicles are manufactured and intended FOR OFF HIGHWAY USE and do not meet applicable standards for unrestricted on-highway operation. These vehicles are regulated under Division 24 of the MVAR (Vehicle of Unusual Size, Weight or Operating Characteristics) with restrictions placed on their highway operation in this Division.

Inspections under Part 4 of Division 25 of the MVAR (Inspection of Motor Vehicles Imported into British Columbia)

Under Part 4 (Inspection of Motor Vehicles Imported into British Columbia) of Division 25 in the MVAR, Authorized Inspectors are authorized to inspect motor vehicles imported into British Columbia. However, Part 4 of Division 25 does not apply to motor vehicles listed in Schedule 2 of that Division, which includes utility vehicles.

Ex-military vehicles not designed to conform with the Motor Vehicle Safety Act (Canada) standards are considered “utility vehicles”. Any inspection of a vehicle of this type under Part 4 of Division 25 of the MVAR is considered by Commercial Vehicle Safety & Enforcement (CVSE) to be an improper inspection.

Designated Inspection Facilities and Authorized Inspectors MUST ENSURE that any vehicle submitted for inspection can and should be inspected as required by MVAR Div. 25 and that ALL components used display proper markings indicating compliance with CMVSS and/or applicable safety standards for on highway use. Any vehicle built by a company or business is considered a manufactured vehicle.

All vehicle inspections conducted as part of the provincial Vehicle Inspection Program must meet all applicable standards set out in the Motor Vehicle Act, MVAR and the Vehicle Inspection Manual in order to receive an Inspection Certificate as that term is defined in Division 25.

Facility operators and Authorized Inspectors are reminded that any improper inspection of vehicles is a violation under the MVAR and may result in enforcement action.

Should you have any further questions or concerns, please contact your local Area Vehicle Inspector or the Vehicle Inspection Program at Vehicle.Inspections@gov.bc.ca or 778-974-5458.

Regards,

Geoff Ford, Manager,

Vehicle Inspections & Standards Program

Commercial Vehicle Safety & Enforcement Branch

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
There's going to be a time when the MV community needs to get in the same canoe and paddle in the same direction. It's coming fast so all the folks that can steer and all the folks that can paddle should start training.

I'm only 11 years in the MV community. Before owning one, I thought that anyone who bought a used, beaten MV was special. It turns out we are special, diverse, hysterical, historical and deep down, love our country and our community. We love MV's so much this diverse community has done everything to recycle, reuse and not dispose of Military equipments that carry the blood of each and everyone of us. I was touched by the loss of war and my buddy Nick Bulgar, with so many others, died while empowering the rest of us with freedom. He was in a Canadian MV while in protection of General Vance and it can't be forgotten. I parade and display MV's to talk about Nick, George M, Zachary M., their families and to teach what little I know about MV's.

MV collectors have done a terrible job gaining interest or support from the general public to ensure this hobby is sustainable. We will need some ideas so the strategists will step forward soon.

Many MV collectors perform parades, command changes, airshows, museum events and the most honourable tasks at funerals. Others simply pull up at a legion and let the veterans see the old iron. Anything public to engage the public and become inviting, kind, educational green iron lovers. Others use the trucks for work, the farm, hunting and an endless line of those liberties freedom brings. Loving our communities has engaged MV owners for over Seventy years in Civil Defense, high water and evacuation rescues, firefighting or just pulling a friend out of the ditch. Some folks just want an MV like Governor Arnold and my favorite puppet guy, Jeff Dunham.

If we don't engage the public in this hobby, "For the Good of the Greater Public", we will not have the support to sustain it.

As a civilian in my youth, green army iron demanded respect. I lived near a military base and we were told the MP's would shoot to kill if we were in the wrong place at the right time. We had a respectful fear of the military.

As a civilian, you green truck, jeep, MV guys were scary. We avoided you. It's not like you were inviting us over to your warehouse to look at your collection. You were the other guys with guns so the perception of MV's in private hands does not change that from a general public point of view, in my fat, balding guy opinion. That was my perception as a civilian until I started meeting our local MVPA boys. These local MVPA fellas paraded dignitaries for decades up here doing everything they could to stay in the public eye.......but it's not enough. We're all going to need to get in one of the boats and paddle.

We have a duty to ourselves and a duty to bind the public opinion in support of MV's.

This is usually when "I move" that we work towards legislation that protects our right to MV in public. Then someone says I second that move but we need a "steering committee" .....then five guys put their hands up and stuff gets done.

In this case, I'm starting a dialogue to brainstorm our future! The future is not MVironmentally friendly.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks