• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legally driving home

NJDEUCE

Hello, I just won a M923 from GL. It was the one displayed at Aberdeen military show. This is my first purchase from GL and I am unsure of the specifics. I live in NJ and the truck is located in Aberdeen. How can I legally drive this truck home without having the title? Is there a temporary thing that you guys know of? How do you get insurance if you don't have the truck or title? I'm stumped and I need to get this sorted out ASAP! I really appreciate any help.

cpf240

The receipt from GL, proper insurance, and whatever your state requires for a one-way trip permit of an unregistered vehicle. Oh, and possibly whatever license requirements your state has for that class of vehicle. Call your insurance company and your state's DMV to find out what they need.

frodobaggins

I usually skip anything to do with temp tags, but YMMV.
ABSOLUTELY do not drive it home without insurance. You can't afford it if something goes wrong. Start calling agents.

If you can't get insurance, etc, have it towed.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know in TN a bill of sale is ok in lieu of tags for so many days after purchase. I'm unsure what your state requires though and I don't even know if the TN deal will work across state lines.

It is impossible to get a title before you drive the truck home because they won't even accept a sf97 application before you pick the truck up.

NJDEUCE

Thanks for all the input guys. I am just going to have a guy tow it back for me, just to play it safe. The truck seems like it is in almost new condition, but the legality issues are what concern me.

emr

Good call. It is never a good idea to chance it, Also the only place to get that info is from the division of motor vehicles in the states affected. " But officer the MV collector web site guys said i could just drive it home :) Heres your tickets sir, and the impound will be open monday for you to get your truck :)

NJDEUCE

Haha that is very true. Do any of you guys know if it is possible to get the truck registered as a 1988 instead of a 1989 so I can get historic plates for it?

tobyS

My insurer quoted $270/year liability and the Indiana BMV said a 96 hour plate would cost $10. I'm having mine brought home on a drop deck to avoid issues of a truck having set around and a breakdown that I'm not prepared for. re historic plates...check out heavy trucks to see if one is available...it's not in Indiana. However farm plates are.

datadawg

+1. Have been unable to get SF 97 while waiting to arrange transport. GL is one of the least friendly post purchase processes around. I've spent easily 20 hours on phone and web trying to piece together this stuff... from whether CDL/non CDL on 5 ton, to how to get it registered as "classic" (MV-11 form in PA) and whether classic title brand allows registering 5 ton below 26K GVWR...