• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Legendary Halftrack Junkyard

Wayofftrack

It's all gone now but I thought you guys might like to see a picture from the wayofftrack wayback machine, circa 1973.

[imglink]http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/1007/southernparts6.jpg[/imglink]

supermechanic

About 30 years back, a yard I would frequent, had a halftrack with a Holmes wrecker boom on the back (good for the muddy season, I suppose), seeing the words halftrack and junkyard together jogged that memory. Thanks.

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
They got recycled into AMC Gremlins. Then melted down into 1989 Nissans. Then melted into 2003 Toyotas. Most are still driving around in that form. ;)

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's nothing, I was talking with Sam Werner several years ago (touring his place) and he showed me a room full of M8 wheel covers. He said they scrapped hundreds of them!:shock:

Wayofftrack

Yep that was Southern Parts in Memphis. Some of them got saved but most went to the scrapper unfortnately. I'll post up some more if you guys want to see them just let me know.

Wayofftrack

At least part of this halftrack (the doors) still exist today with a collector in Canada.

[imglink]http://www.surfacezero.com/g503/data/1007/950x696xcollene.jpg.pagespeed.ic.OBNePLtRQ0.jpg[/imglink]

mtn man

Taken about 12 years ago... NC Forest Service salvage yard in Avery? County. I remember going up there one day to get 'armor plate' for dozer protection... had a pile of that and many full tracks. I was digging through files taken off my old computer and came accross some early digital camera pics I had. The old hard drive data is all jacked up so I am just finding pics at random. If I can put more together I may post on thread.

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks