• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

"Let It Be Light" - Backup Lights

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Long weekend and getting fed up with having to back up with my 4-ways on. The ideal time to install backup lights.

I used 2 spare "lollipop light" brackets and mounted them upside down behind the rear composite lights. For lights I used small fog lights from a tractor supply place and sprayed them green.

Light switch: I used a tractor supply push-button starter switch with a nice round rubber bubble over the switch, removed the floor board, drilled a hole in the cross member behind the tranny so that the hole lines up with the rod sticking out at the rear of the tranny and mounted the switch through that hole in the cross member.
When in reverse, the rod sticks out the farthest, pushes the button and the lights go on. I hooked into the dash light circuit for power supply and wired the two 12V lights in series, so they run with the 24V supply. Works great and, IMHO, the lights look as if they belonged.

One done, I discovered a puking axle seal and got to do that one too...done it last year, but the RTV in the keyway seemed to have become dislodged.

My wife also painted the truck's name onto the hood..."Queen Lola" now has a name tag!

Attachments

Last edited:

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I had a set mounted in a similar spot, only higher. They were removed from the truck while wheeling. I would suggest moving them higher, but the civi hitch might keep them safe. It is wonderful having back up lights, isn't it?!

popacom

Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's a heck of an idea Cattlerepairman,specially since tbanks and I have a $h!# load of loli-pop lights for sale LOL all jokes aside. Good thinkin!!!!

popacom /BILL in Ky.[thumbzup]

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a set mounted in a similar spot, only higher. They were removed from the truck while wheeling. I would suggest moving them higher, but the civi hitch might keep them safe. It is wonderful having back up lights, isn't it?!
Good point; the "civy" hitch is actually a unit modification and these guys took the thickest steel they could find and welded it all together. You could probably lift the truck up on this hitch and shake it!

It does decrease the departure angle. Deuces up here are not plentiful, so I am not using mine up in extreme offroad trials.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a pair of armor headlights set aside for my truck. Took me 2 years to swap the turbo and add the winch. Should have these on by 2012.

number9

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also recently added backup lights. I used the $10 lights at NAPA and bought the 28V bulbs for them (steep at $20ea). I went around and around thinking of how to wire them up and just ended up adding a Packard connector to each light and connecting them into the blackout light connector on the factory harness back by the tail lights. I don't recon I'd ever use the blackout lights anyway. I'd rather have had them on a toggle, but this was super easy and I can put it back to stock even easier.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks