• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Let The Restoration Begin

ctmustang

Finally getting around to tearing down the truck. Brought it home from Annville PA. 6weeks ago and went through !@#$^&%$%^#$% to finally get it titled so now I can get to work. With the way it sits now I can get a good look at the fresh engine uncle sam installed for me. Thanks! A few more pieces windshield frames and doors and such and then sandblasting this sat. I will be doing it back in Vietnam era scheme. Wish there were more in their original colors. I will keep this thread updated as progress allows.

Attachments

ctmustang

Thanks PapaBear
My last deuce was already restored when I bought it which was fine but I wanted one rite out of service that I could do myself. Just glad it really has no more than surface rust and 10 layers of peeling carc to deal with. Will keep updated.:grd:

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you come up with a good technique for blasting off CARC, please let me know. I am using #4 sand and it takes FOREVER! At $5.50 a sack, these truck restorations are getting ugly expensive!

ida34

I commend you for waiting until the title work is straight before starting the restoration. Many people do not then end up with a very expensive vehicle and no title. You did it the smart way.

ctmustang

NDT
I have done some of the smaller things with a harbor freight sand blaster. I use playsand sifted through a window screen rig I made. It works really well. Remember I'm blasting through around 10 layers. Taking the rest to a guy I know because I don't want the kids having to be around carc dust for the next 100 yrs. in the yard.He's going to let me use his rig-including suit and respirator for 60.00 an hour. I can't beat that.

ctmustang

Well I finally got done with media blasting the deuce. I'll post some pics tomorrow-too tired rite now. Was planning on going back in 24087 vietnam colors but kind of grew to like the color scheme that was on the truck when I bought it at GL. Guess I'll be going back in 24087 but was curious what brand of paint some of you have had good luck with-Gillespie even had a guy I know paint his deuce with Sherwin Williams industrial enamel and it looks great. Just would like to hear from some of you with exp. in this.
Thanks C.T>:confused::shock:aua

ctmustang

I guess you can't really call this a restoration. It's all I have time and resources to do rite now. Finally have the cab and all parts foward in priner. Start painting this coming sat. I have 4 gals. of 24087 waiting in workshop. after I get cab and everything foward painted I am taking truck to local sandblaster and will tarp cab and front of truck and sandblast the bed. Take truck home and pull the wheels and take them back to get blasted. Then replace all wheel seals and wheel cylinders and what ever else I find is needed. It's just a poor mans restoration but it already looks a lot better to me-Especially since I'm doing it all by myself.
More pics nextweekend if weather holds off so I can spray some paint.
C.T.Mustang

Attachments

Carl_in_NH

It will be nice to see how it looks once you get some color shot onto it.

I'll be starting my painting project in the Spring. I take it you're going for solid OD Green; that's what I'm thinking about at the moment. Both of my trucks are three color camo - but I like the idea of one solid color - also fits the era, 1971.

Lex_Ordo

Man that will be a real frame off resto! I think that will b the best one I've seen yet. People have commented on mine when they see it, but I did mine all together. Yours will be that much more done.

ctmustang

Cool I finally got to spray some OD24087 today. Sure am impressed with how it is turning out so far. Sure is a lot of hard work. Even the cat likes it I think. Bet he can't wait to walk on some fresh paint! Next the bed has to come off for media blasting. I will keep the progress pics coming as it happens.
CTMustang:beer:

Attachments

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks