• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Level 3 Noob With Big Plans and Lots of Questions (Different Thread)

StormCruzzer

Hey everyone!

My name's Travis, I'm 27, Live in SE Virginia, and have a B.S. in meteorology. I work as a Financial Advisor specializing in Life Insurance and Annuities, but also run a Storm Chasing business on the side, StormCruzzer LLC.. I currently own a 2011 Silverado 3500HD Dually that I've converted into a storm chasing truck that I also use as a DD, and although it's not yet finished, I'm working on the designs for the next vehicle (a 5 ton).
Here's a quick picture of the storm chasing truck from Hurricane Hermine in September 2016, and it's about to go through some major changes over the next year as we prepare it for SEMA.
StormCruzzer Rack.jpg

Last edited:

TNriverjet

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Welcome from TN! You'll find lots of helpful folk and good info all over SS. You may also want to consider something from The FMTV family. I may be biased towards them. The M-1078 or M-1079 would be a great platform.

StormCruzzer

Welcome from South Florida, 5 ton's are awesome, no I'm not biased just because I have one....or am I ? Anyway nice looking truck.
Welcome from TN! You'll find lots of helpful folk and good info all over SS. You may also want to consider something from The FMTV family. I may be biased towards them. The M-1078 or M-1079 would be a great platform.
I second the lmtv. Better electrical system. Larger cab that's better sealed against the elements. Better maneuverability.
Thank you all!

I've looked into them a bit and do really like the cab over setup to keep the truck shorter and reduce surface area for crosswinds..
How's the ride quality compared on and off road compared to the m923? the m1078/9s seem to have a good amount less flex too, is that correct?

gerrykan

I would want something faster than a military truck, but then again, I usually don't drive towards tornadoes.

Good luck on your search and future build.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks