• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Level winder and tensioner rebuild

Vintage iron

Today I finally got to putting on my level winder and tensioner on my M813. Both are not moving freely and oil is not doing the trick. So I will need to dig deeper. I got the tensioner moving again and mounted it. Next I started to take apart the levelwinder. Man! There are a lot of parts in this seemingly simple piece of equipment. all the bearings are packed with hard grease, but no rust. One of the problems is the fiber washers are all breaking apart and some of the shims washers are kind of rusty. I took everything apart and I am soaking all the parts to loosen up the old grease.

Anyone know a good place to get replacement parts for 20,000 lb Garwood winches? I will probable need a some other small parts too?!

scoutmanadam

i have always had luck finding new bearings and seals by taking the old examples in and going off dimensions. I dont know about your town but here i go to the "Industrial" part of town were all the big rig shops are and there's lots of shops like those and the prices are always great.

Vintage iron

I am a heavy truck mechanic and I always take the parts with me to compare or pull part numbers off. I am sure I can find the bearings if these are junk, but the fiber washers and the drum lock studs? Worse case, I make the fiber washers and fix the drum lock. thanks

jwaller

I did the exact same thing with my level winder about 3 years ago. SECO in augusta,Ga had all the parts I needed. Not cheap but they have them. Mine was missing all the correct shims and bearings and washers. was totally locked up and would not move or rotate.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks