• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

leveling hmmwv m998

Dshields

currently running 39.5 iroks on 17 inch h2 wheels,, only problem or what i don't like is the front of my hmmwv sits a little lower than the rear, does anyone know how to or the best way to get my truck level, i have the 6.2

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Drive it uphill at all times.

isaacnasar

If fully interchangeable with the Hummer H1 try and source only the front springs from a lift kit. I've been thinking of running 39.5" Iroks on my M998 as well. How does it effect handling, braking, and top speed? Would you mind sharing any photos?

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
the best way is to either [EDIT-] SHIM the front with polyurethane mounts or cut the risks brings, which involves a bit of work and simultaneous equations.

shimming the front just requires getting a rubber or polyurethane mount of the height required.

Correcting the rear involves measuring where your vehicle sits versus where you want it to sit. Then you need to measure the spring height while still mounted in the vehicle and then after it is removed.

The difference between where your vehicle sits and the height you want it to sit at is 1 number. you then set up an equation. The height of the spraining while installed/the height of the spraining when removed=the measurement of how much you want to lower the vehicle/how much you need to cut off the spring.

There may be required bending of this spring once you have cut it that you also need to compensate for if you have variable compression springs. essentially you cut the spring long and then use a blow torch to bend the final half turn of the spring flat so that it properly articulates inside of its spring perch.

No matter what you do, you will need to loosen springs and re-seat them properly.

Best,

T

Last edited:

Action

the best way is to either she and the front with polyurethane mounts or cut the risks brings, which involves a bit of work and simultaneous equations.

shimming the front just requires getting a rubber or polyurethane mount of the height required.

Correcting the rear involves measuring where your vehicle sits versus where you want it to sit. Then you need to measure the spring height while still mounted in the vehicle and then after it is removed.

The difference between where your vehicle sits and the height you want it to sit at is 1 number. you then set up an equation. The height of the spraining while installed/the height of the spraining when removed=the measurement of how much you want to lower the vehicle/how much you need to cut off the spring.

There may be required bending of this spring once you have cut it that you also need to compensate for if you have variable compression springs. essentially you cut the spring long and then use a blow torch to bend the final half turn of the spring flat so that it properly articulates inside of its spring perch.

No matter what you do, you will need to loosen springs and re-seat them properly.

Best,

T
WHAT? His front end sags, and he wants to raise it back up.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
WHAT? His front end sags, and he wants to raise it back up.
Either lift the front or drop the back are options to level any vehicle.

My post included instructions for both options.

Sorry if you felt mislead.

Best,

T

Jakob1944

currently running 39.5 iroks on 17 inch h2 wheels,, only problem or what i don't like is the front of my hmmwv sits a little lower than the rear, does anyone know how to or the best way to get my truck level, i have the 6.2

Put a dozen GI's in the back......tumblr_ltnrd77NPT1qlmscao4_1280.jpg.

Check out the unit marking on vehicle......I served in that unit in the nam......Co A, 1/27 Inf, Wolfhounds in the 25 Inf.....They are a long way from the Jungle....

Last edited:

rhinob

Try installing an ATTBAR hard top, supplemental armored doors, an airlift bumper, a Rhino tire carrier, and fill it up with fuel. It'll level right out.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
My idea to level the HMMWV is to park it on flat concrete, them run over it with BART (m1070a1w)a few times, when done the HUUWV will be level and also prove that a HUUWV is not the proper wheel chock for BART (Bad A$$ Recovery Truck)

HMMWVer

You need coil spring spacers. Its a 2" suspension lift. Whenever I did my Cummins swap into my hmmwv it made my front end sag. So I used half (2 of the 4 spacers) of a 2 inch suspension lift to bring it back up. Work good and didn't ruin my ride quality.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks