• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Libby MEP 002. 12 volt starter ?

tnmike

I have a chance to buy a Libby mep 002a with 7 hours on the meter. There is no date of manufacture stamped on the nameplate but it is definetly military. CARC in 2002.

The odd thing to me is that there are only 2 battery cables and a nameplate that says 12 volt battery.

There is also a battery housing behind the meter panel with a 3.6 volt battery in it that I assume is for panel lights.

Is this unusual?

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
I have a chance to buy a Libby mep 002a with 7 hours on the meter. There is no date of manufacture stamped on the nameplate but it is definetly military. CARC in 2002.

The odd thing to me is that there are only 2 battery cables and a nameplate that says 12 volt battery. The set uses two 12 batteries. So there should be a jumper between them. But I do not remember any 12 data plate.

There is also a battery housing behind the meter panel with a 3.6 volt battery in it that I assume, (this word will always bite you in the patootie, every time). is for panel lights.

Is this unusual?
Very unusual. Please take a bunch of pictures and post them.

Have you downloaded the manuals and maybe perused them?

Chainbreaker

If it were me I would not attempt to start it until you verify what you have there. If it is truly a MEP-002a then its gonna be a 24V system (starter, fuel pumps, glow plugs, etc.). Otherwise, it might be an Onan 12V civilian version where someone converted a military skid chassis and some of the other components to accept it, thus the carc paint.

Guy is right, need pictures to verify what it really is.

tnmike

The starting voltage was 24 volts. I still do not know what the battery operated device on the back of the control panel is.

The primary fuel pump tripped the dc breaker. I removed the power and it still would not prime. I moved the primary fuel line to the secondary pump and it fired up.
Makes power on all settings. The voltmeter dies not indicate on single phase only.

Any thoughts on the pump? I'm wondering if the screen is stopped up or the emi module is grounded? I thought these units worked if one pump failed. What's the best place to source a pump?

Keith_J

Take the pump apart. If the plunger is stuck, it will trip the breaker. My new potion of choice for dirty diesel parts is Diesel Mechanic in a Bottle. This will get the gum out.
Take the base off the pump and pull the strainer. Then remove the spring clip holding the lower pump check valve. Then the plunger should slide out, if stuck let it soak in a teaspoon of this potion until it slides out. Clean the upper check and you will be golden.

Bmxenbrett

If its a 12v system and you try to start it on 12v nothing will get hurt. If its 24v system and you try with a 12v battery nothing will get hurt. But if its a 12v system and you try to start it on 24v you may cause major problems.

Try one battery first as it will not harm anything.

Guyfang

Staff member
The starting voltage was 24 volts. I still do not know what the battery operated device on the back of the control panel is. Post a picture!!

The primary fuel pump tripped the dc breaker. I removed the power and it still would not prime. I moved the primary fuel line to the secondary pump and it fired up.
Makes power on all settings. The voltmeter dies not indicate on single phase only. Did you reset the S8 switch in the right position? Do not turn the S6 while running.

Any thoughts on the pump? I'm wondering if the screen is stopped up or the emi module is grounded? If its grounded, you can cut it out, and still run the set. As long as you don't mind the RFI. I thought these units worked if one pump failed. There are several different fuel pumps that LOOK the same, but are NOT the same. Some are of the construction, that if the first pump fails, the second can still draw fuel through the first pump, even though the first pump is non-op. Then there are some pumps, that do not allow for this action, as its not necessary in that application.
What's the best place to source a pump?
I would look up the right part number and NSN in the parts manual, and put them into my web browser. Please be sitting down when you look at the price.

Chainbreaker

What's the best place to source a pump?
Try these sources:

https://www.pegasusautoracing.com/productdetails.asp?RecID=8850

https://www.yachtsupplydepot.com/me...te-electric-fuel-pump-480517e/prod_23449.html

You need to verify that these meet the specs in parts manual, I'm not responsible for you ordering wrong part. I think they do as they are without the checkvalve (according to the table show below the description) which permits 2 pumps in series pass-through.

Last edited:

Guyfang

Staff member
Yep...that's it. An asset tracking device.
There used to be a tag on them, with a return address. Just toss it in the post box and away it went. Since I stopped working on this stuff a while back, don't know if they still have the tag. We used to toss them in a multi pack box until we had 500-600 of them and then ship them off.

Light in the Dark

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel like there are too many questions still unanswered, before we start jumping onto other topics. Will you be providing any backup info to the questions and statements already posed tnmike?

tnmike

I'm not sure about the reconnection switch position. Is it behind the panel to the left of the two outlets?

I'm unsure about what backup information you are talking about.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks