• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lift and steering questions

deuce200385

I just purchased a 1985 M1008 with a 6'' lift and 37'' humvee tires, but i have noticed that the steering is really sloppy and the turning radius sucks even by other M1008's that i have driven with no lift. My question is off road designs (ORD) makes a crossover steering kit, will this fix my problem or has anyone else done this mod??

thanks

Lebowski

Yes, the ORD kit will help alot and solve your steering issues. Crossover steering AND hydro-assist (also available thru ORD) would really help your truck with 6" lift.

biggestc69

I put heavy duty springs under the front of my 08 and it lifted it back up level. I wanted to keep the ridge height so I cant help ya with the crossover but I put a Spartan Locker up front and it was destroying steering boxes. So I bit the bullet and went with there hydro assist with heavy dutry drag link and tie rod ends and welded in their steering box support (cost around 1500 when it was all said and done) and now I have NO problems whatsoever. Drive the truck daily and it turns better than my newer trucks when putting around on the trails with the front locked in.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I installed ORD's crossover steering kit and love it. IMHO, you don't need the hydro assist steering unless you are planning some serious and hard-core off-roading. I have posted a couple of photos in post #56 of my rebuild thread.

Also check the wheel bearing tightness, spring bushing condition, and u-bolt tightness. You did not indicate your truck's mileage, so you may want to check your tie-rod ends and toe-end too. Any of these can contribute to sloppy steering.

Hope this helps.

look for my build thread....http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?83044-85-M1009-build-thread&highlight=85+build+thread

I used all ORD hardware..( along with the crossover steer kit ). i would also recommend, at looking at Driver side frame rail, ( were steering box mounts to it...) ( i broke 4. yes 4... steering gear boxes, until i did the ORD frame upgrade/repair kit ) these trucks are NOTORIOUS for cracking the frame at this location... especially if you run off road much, and have a lift and larger than stock wheels and tires.... and yes... after the frame upgrade, doing hydro assit.... its been just AWESOME...

Last edited:

Croatan_Kid

I have a kit from WFO and one from ORD. I'd buy from WFO again in a heartbeat. Much faster shipping to NC, cheaper, and they're quicker to help you over the phone than ORD in my past few experiences. I get stuff from WFO in California in 2 days. Their tie rod ends are also of a better quality and about half the price of ORD. I really like both companies, but my last project was mainly ordered from WFO, Ruff Stuff, or other smaller companies.

deuce200385

Thanks for the input guys, from what I can see with a flashlight (go to work it's dark, get off its dark) the frame seems ok but I defiantly will do the steering box brace upgrade, of course now I get home and the **** thing won't start without a jump...batteries have 11.6v but I think they maybe be junk cause it starts right up but needs a jump to do so...idk though I build Harleys not trucks usually...lol

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks