• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lift vs Tire size

caladin

Is there a post that discusses this? If not I was wonder what lift I would need to accommodate a larger tire.

Example

33” Requires ?
35” Requires ?
37’” Requires ?

thanks! I have been lurking since 2008 but finally in 2010 I post... lol

Cucvnut

33's you dont need a lift they might rub a little but thats it.

35's and no rubbing like a 4 inch lift or 3 depending on the lift and how you do it. there are many ways.

37's with a 6 inch lift will require triming and pretty much any smaller lift will require more trimming.

im sure others will chime in with what they think is best. everyone has there own opinion on this. there are lots of threads that have talked about this. if you want more hard core tech look at pirate 4x4. lots of good info there just have to wade thru the BS

Last edited:

danochamp

If you want 33's I'd recommend tacking a 1-2 inch lift on there, its pretty simple, cheap, and eliminates most problems of the larger tires. It also gives it a better look in my opinion, the tire wells don't look cramped, which bugs me a lot.

Croatan_Kid

There's always guidelines, but they're not set in stone. Generally most people would say I'd have to run 8 or more inches of lift for 39s, but I run 5 up front, 3 out back. ****, AJMBlazer has 1" of lift on the front with the same tires I have.

It depends on what looks you're going for and if you want to trim fenders or not. Also, rim width, tire width, and rim backspacing play a major role in fitment and contact with the body when flexing.

To ellaborate more on my setup, it's 4" springs, 1" zero rate with the axle moved 1.5" forward, 3" blocks on the rear and 16x8 rims with 4.25" backspacing and an 11" wide tire. Works great with a little fender trimming. I'm actually about to ditch the rear blocks and do a 2.5" shackle flip out back.

Without moving the axle and the extra inch of the zero rate, I'd probably have run a much smaller tire. Maybe 35s or 36s.

If you have a setup in mind for your own use, post it up and I'll give you my opinion on what I would do.

skark_burmer

So far on my 1008 i have run...

33's no lift, no trim, no rub.
35's no lift, little bit of trim front and back, no rub
37's no lift, fair amount of trim and they rub at the top at full stuff in the front.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQZtUHDezk[/media]

burbn10

I am running an Offroad Design 2.5" rear spring shackle flip bracket, 6" shackles, stock rear springs, and 4" lift springs in the front. This setup gives me 4" of total lift all around. I'm running 37"x12.5"x16.5" Goodyear Humvee tires on 16.5"x10" rims with 4.5" of backspacing. I had to do really minimal trimming (about 1/4") and only rub when in full turn running over something with only one of the front tires.... And even that is minimal. The shackle flip set my rear pinion angle perfect, I didn't need to run a drop bracket for the transfer case, and retained the 1-1/4 ton spring capacity.

Attachments

danochamp

So far on my 1008 i have run...

33's no lift, no trim, no rub.
35's no lift, little bit of trim front and back, no rub
37's no lift, fair amount of trim and they rub at the top at full stuff in the front.
[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sXQZtUHDezk[/media]

Seems like this guy has a bad habit of hittin his sides!

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iZBjykvaLqs[/media]

Croatan_Kid

I like the 2.5 flip with a 6" shackle, very good flex and ride. I would have to add a Zero Rate to re-center the rear axle though. It's noticably farther forward, but that's the nature of a shackle flip.

caladin

Well Im thinking either
Goodyear Hummer 36" x 12.50 x 16.5 bias ply
or
Goodyear Hummer Wrangler radials 37x12.50x16.5

burbn10

Well Im thinking either
Goodyear Hummer 36" x 12.50 x 16.5 bias ply
or
Goodyear Hummer Wrangler radials 37x12.50x16.5
I got the radials. They do alright off road and they ride really nice and quiet on the road. Though one of them is shaped like an egg. Can't complain though... I got the set of 4 in nearly brand-new condition for $400. They are all over Ebay.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks