• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifted Deuce NO NO!

Status
Not open for further replies.

6x6TRex

Spotted this lifted bobber jem on a popular auction site. Anyone notice the front axle u bolts? And what NOT to do to lengthen them!

bolts.jpg

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like blocks were installed. In every 4x4 magazine I know of, and book about offroading trucks and jeeps, it warns to NEVER install life blocks on the front axle. Also, the owners should think twice about installing them on the rear axle, too. Too much weight + too much flex (side to side) in the U-bolts, will lead to suspension failure when you really need it most.

But this is what happens when you give a redneck a big truck and time. He'll screw something up and will get others hurt or worse.

jeryshery

Lift blocks up front on heavy trucks is super common. I don't know why 4x4 magazines and sites tell you not to do it but there are alot of big truck companys that build em that way from the factory.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The real question is HOW it was built.... like using custom built U-bolts, not NEW (one piece) parts but the stock ones, extended via cut- and weld-together of different pieces!

G.

jeryshery

The real question is HOW it was built.... like using custom built U-bolts, not NEW (one piece) parts but the stock ones, extended via cut- and weld-together of different pieces!

G.
That would make a serious difference...Cut and welded ubolts are a no-go. Also those blocks don't look like big truck blocks most lift blocks on big stuff are big ol' cast iron numbers, never seen a hollow one on anything past 8000lbs.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it was just the u-bolts I wouldn't worry too much, just get some new ones and replace the welded ones. The problem is any "fabricator" that will weld u-bolts together will do no telling what else. One look at those u-bolts and you couldn't give me that truck for anything other than parts.

midevilduece

I zoomed in on that picture and cleaned up the pixelation. Those "lift Blocks" are not lift blocks at all, they are two pieces of "C" or "U" channel welded together Or at least I assume they are welded together. I HOPE they are welded together. Cant really tell on those u blots but, there is a reason that using lift blocks in the front is a bad idea, it has to do with the flex and steering, and the forces that steering put on the axles that generate opposite torque. I read an article that was written by someone way smarter than me, but basically the force generate by the steering tires, causes the front axle to want to roll, when you add flex or camber into the equation it doubles the forces generated. the higher the lift blocks the more dangerous it becomes. Im no engineer but, the article broke everything down and showed why this causes axle wrap. LIft blocks up front are a bad idea.. Homemade, backyard engineered lift blocks are even worse than a bad idea, it is a moronic idea that can cause serious even fatal, accidents.. I feel sorry for anyone that buys that truck..

jeryshery

If it's such a "bad idea" how come multiple heavy truck companies are selling trucks with lift blocks up front? I think this is one of those things like the rotating tires myth it may have been true a long time ago but not anymore.

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
[QUOTEIf it's such a "bad idea" how come multiple heavy truck companies are selling trucks with lift blocks up front? I think this is one of those things like the rotating tires myth it may have been true a long time ago but not anymore.][/QUOTE]

My guess is that factory lift blocks were designed by ENGINEERS using test data, known specs and the right kind of metal. Once the design is done and it's all put together they whole package is reviewed by LAWYERS to determine what kind of LIABILITY could be incurred if there was a CATASTROPHIC FAILURE of any of the parts.
People who take shortcuts like that are setting themselves up for failure and lawsuits. I wouldn't drive that thing across the road.

midevilduece

If it's such a "bad idea" how come multiple heavy truck companies are selling trucks with lift blocks up front? I think this is one of those things like the rotating tires myth it may have been true a long time ago but not anymore.
You are talking apples and oranges here dude, when they build them that way from the factory, they are ENGINEERED to be that way. They are not using 30 or 40 year old engineered specifications and changing them. This is the difference, between altering something and engineering it. I have seen with my own two eyes a dana 60 front axle come apart when a guy attempted to turn and twist the front axle at the same time. The lift block popped out and the front end dropped down 6 inchess. the tire cut into the fender or vice versa and shredded both. So I kow from experience that if it isnt engineered to have lift blocks then adding them is stupid..

jeryshery

It doesn't take a lot of test data to mold a cast iron block and drill 4 holes in it. If it wasn't safe the dot wouldn't keep approving them for over the road use.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It doesn't take a lot of test data to mold a cast iron block and drill 4 holes in it. If it wasn't safe the dot wouldn't keep approving them for over the road use.
I didn't see any cast iron blocks in the pic. I did see some crazy scary homemade, bubba welded U bolts though. Think DOT is gonna approve that?

That thing is a pile of rolling death.

jeryshery

Also those front ends are not engineered specifically to support lift blocks. They're the exact same except for cast iron lift blocks that have holes in them for the ubolts to sit through they aren't complicated and they're not of genius design. As for lift blocks popping out yes that does happen in the pickup world because the single bolt cradle design small stuff uses sucks. I'm not saying the truck above isn't dangerous but I am saying that lift blocks up front are plausible all you have to do is either find a shop to build them per your specs or find a set out from under a 5ton civi truck.

Due to wear patterns on radial tires rotating them actually hurts tire life. It made sense with bias plys but now it's just useless.

That is almost true. Never rotate radials side to side. I have seen tires come apart in short order after doing so, although this is rare.

But rotating front to rear can have advantages.

One example. Dodge caravans tend to wear front tires unevenly on the out side edge. This will cause a slight shimmy that can be felt in the steering wheel.

Moving the rear tires to the front will allow a set of tires to be used up before the shimmy get to bad to live with.

DUG

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Multiple tire shops a physics teacher and master mechanic that's owned two tire shops and is now retired.
So nothing researchable?

Bummer. I'll continue to go with what multiple tires shops, my brother with a master degree and what the Navy taught me when I was a heavy equipment mechanic and managed a fleet of GSA vehicles.

I routinely get better than advertised mileage out of my tires on many different vehicles, if rotating made wear worse, I don't think that would be the outcome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks