• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting a 809 or 939 with a crane.....

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Gentlemen,

I've recently finished a 3 + year refurbish on an old Galion 150A crane. I'm in the final stages of "break in" on all the repairs....and need to do a heavy lift (15 tons). Our trucks weigh just under that, but looking at the lifting points in the rear.........not sure of a good way to get to them (bed on my 925 hangs over as well as my 817).

I assume the the military has a spreader frame they use to get around this, but has anyone ever attempted this without a custom lifting rig?

Thank you

p.s. I'll post pics when I can accomplish this final test

wreckerman893

Possum Connoisseur
I assume the the military has a spreader frame they use to get around this, but has anyone ever attempted this without a custom lifting rig?
Yep. I was in an ordnance unit at Fort Benning and we had cranes that would have been used had we deployed to a port for an ammo unload mission.

Each crane had a spreader frame as part of it's Basic Issue Item inventory. One day out of complete boredom I read the TM that came with it and it showed how to rig vehicles to be picked up with that spreader system. They could also be used to pick up 20 and 40 foot shipping containers.

You might could construct a field expedient spreader from heavy chain and thick walled steel pipe. I think I saw that in a TM somewhere (maybe Vehicle Evacuation and Recovery) but memory fails me right now.

simp5782

Feo, Fuerte y Formal
Supporting Vendor
Rather than tear something up you can always just zip the bed off and set it on the ground and use the leaf points. Taking the bed off is easy when you have a crane. The rest of us have to improvise.

Sent from my SM-G860P using Tapatalk

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
The 809/939/39 5ts and the deuces get picked with the front lift brackets and the LIFT POINTS between the rear duels, this is the horizontal pin that is straight up from the duels pivoit. They DO NOT get lifted from the rear for a crane pick, you WILL bend the frame.

Last edited:

BigDawg41

I came across this picture when doing Seabee truck research and thought it was pretty cool.I wonder if any hood or front end damage happened? Hope it helps

Attachments

Last edited:

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I came across this picture when doing Seabee truck research and thought it was pretty cool.I wonder if any hood or front end damage happened? Hope it helps
If they had turned the spreader bars the other direction in line with the truck they could have picked the truck level, a lot safer and better rigging, I am guessing that they are going by the book BUT the book does not no all

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your going to need a speader no matter where you pick from, except maybe the mirrors...

M925A2 with dump hoist

Jbulach

Steel Soldiers Supporter
On second thought, I guess you can pick from one end only. Fun setting back down!

M925A2 with dump hoist

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks