• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting a M135 / M211?

6x6XL

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0WkQnpPka0Y

I did some searching through the old posts and haven't found anything on this topic.

If the link above works, does anyone know what they did to that deuce? its clearly a lot higher than the "stock" trucks and what size are those tires.

I understand that the drivetrain can only take so much abuse (automatic trans and all) and the engine isn't exactly a powerhouse in these trucks, but I think that is an interesting idea; lifting a gmc 2 1/2 ton.

Thanks!

Section8

If I remeber correctly that rig has 1200 flotation tires on it. No suspension upgrade or anything. Also at the end of that video the truck stops abruptly because it blew the tranny.
Lifting on of these would require some blocks on the axles which most tend to shy away from due to safety, especially for on road driving concerns.
Best course to lift one of these trucks I have researched is to have some springs custom made with a deeper curve to them so it will "sit higher".
Then lengthen all corresponding steering and suspension points. Shocks, Pittman arms etc.. just like any other lift.
I haven't found any springs that are a "swap" to get the height. You have to remember these rigs have a 2.5 inch wide leafspring set up. Most modern medium duty trucks I have compared with have a 3 inch set up. This requires new shackles, bushings, rear axle "slip sleeves" (what I call them, allow the springs to move over the rear axle on flex while keeping the spring pack inline.
Wider springs may also bring into play clearance issues with steering and tire rub on flex.
Easiest way to get lifted.
Buy 395/85/20 or 1400/20 tires with modified Hemmt rims or super single rims. May want to reduce your backpacking to keep turning radius and reduce tire rub.
Just my 2 cents. Not like I haven't pondered this or anything.
Let us all know if you try.

6x6XL

lol just like any lift done correctly, its a lot of work. what modifications would be required for the Hemmt rims to fit the deuce? I don't plan on going too crazy with mods on this truck. I looked at doing a crew cab out of mine also, but I figure any truck built in 1951 with no rust on the body, shouldn't be cut on. I would like to go with a taller tire though, maybe a super single, a little taller truck, a little taller "gearing" for the road and getting rid of the bias ply tires.

Section8

There are a couple guys in the "deuce modification and hotrodding " forum that sell modified Hemmt rims or plates machined for our hubs so you can do it yourself.
A fellow by the handle of Peashooter sells adaptor plates. Great quality and reasonable prices. Check out that forum, lots of great threads.
Best way to lift the M135/211 is as I stated earlier and probably easiest. Get some new leaf springs recurved so there is more arc to them with a little higher perch under them. Throw on some 395s and you are ready for taking on Gravedigger and diving over the yuppies and their sports cars.
Crew cab is a dream of mine as well. The great thing about these trucks is that they are bolt together ready. Very little cutting and fab. They will pretty much just bolt together. Check out Jersyhicks crew cab build thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks