• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lifting points for deuce bed removal

Rattlehead

I have searched for some pics or ideas on deuce bed removal with a crane and didn't find anything. I need to pull a deuce bed, but don't see any good places at/near the corners to support it from without possible damage to the bed. The manual just shows an overhead hoist with cables going to each 4 corners, but no detail on how they are attaching to the bed.

I will have access to an 8' or a 12' spreader bar if needed.

What have you guys used?

Rattlehead

While on this subject, I have the same question for cab removal using a crane. It appears that, with about a 5' spreader bar, one could position the bar down the center of the cab, from front to back. Then a single cable attachment straight down to the rear cab mount, and a double (Vee) attachment off the front of the spreader bar, to the windshield hinge mounts?

Ideas?

dm22630

You can run 2 chains underneath of it & lift it off with a backhoe.

Powerhouseduece took his bed off with a car lift & I backed my trailer under it & he set it down with no problems.....

Whenever I take it off the trailer I will be using a backhoe bucket & 2 chains...

2027Deuce

I lifted the deuce bed off with tractor on one side and forklift on the other, because like you mentioned there are no good lift points on the corners. You maybe able to attach chain or strap to the bed joists, (not the bed frame) that run from side to side under the bed.

Jones

Here's how we rigged the deuce bed for the baby HEMTT.
We dropped chains down through the front head board pockets and looped back to them and set the hooks.
On the rear; we used slings and dropped their ends into the siderack pockets, and ran a bolt through the same way the side racks are secured to the bed.
If you're using slings, always remember to pad the silng where it may run over any sharp edges. I run the sling through a section of old fire hose, but even a piece of old carpet will do.

For the cab; a three point lift will work but if you're going to the windshield supports, I'd use a spreader bar set low so that the load doesn't mess up the cowl by trying to pull the two supports / lifting points together.

Attachments

oilcan

Unless the bed is loaded, or you like to jerk the crane around, the corner stake pockets hold up fine. (most of the time) I don't have a pic or the proper terminology, but use the big curved hooks, not the kind that grab a chain link.

tm america

hey jones that looks like a scale you have hooked up there what did the bed weigh.i use my tractor two long chains ran them over the bed frame rails and back over the frame rails on on the other side of the of of one of the cross rails. the sides are tough enough you wont hurt anything longer chains put less stress on the sides

Jones

The bed, empty, weighed right at 1,300#.
tm america has a good point on length. If you have the overhead clearance, the longer the sling/chain/cable legs the better. You should never rig so close that the load to hook angle is less than 30 degrees. Too easy to crush the load as it's weight tries to pull the ends together; or have one or more ends lose their grip on the hook.

For all: There's a .pdf of the military rigging manual, FM 5-125 in the Tech. Library. It's good reading for just about any operation requiring rigging of any kind.

kennys@wi.rr.com

When removing the bed are there any good tips for getting the bolts to come off or is it best to just go ahead and cut them off right away and quit wasting time?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks