• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light bar!

ToddJK

Rooftop lights always has it's use, but there's no harm in adding more lights, especially up front on the bumper or brush guard if there's one. More options for the given task and conditions. At least the front lower mounted lights tend to shine more on the ground to reduce that "curtain" that the light will reflect off of more so the higher it's mounted due to dust, fog, rain, and snow.
As much as I like my newly added rooftop lights, the one set of ambers I put on the bumper have been more useful in most cases and used a lot more often than the rooftop lights.

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I've had a light bar on my M998 for about 4 years now. It's funny I set my truck up to mimic the setup from a M211 in a 70s movie called Sorcerer .

Did not realize it until this thread and encourage everyone to catch this great film.. Anyway my setup has six 1800ln leds on the bar and it lights up the world.

Mark

Sorcerer77poster.jpg

Sorcerer-truck.jpg

20220716_123900.jpg

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You could also try and modify something like this to work in /on your HMMWV.
It's massive system but it could be trim down a bit .
Sutton Surplus - Military Surplus Trucks and Equipment - Eyecon 360 Light kit 360 for MRAP RG33 - M923 - Caiman - HMMWV
That's the kit I put on my 5 ton. If you go with that, feel free to message me as there are some electrical tricks you'll have to pull outta your booty to get them to work, and I've already fought and beat them.

BLK HMMWV

That's the kit I put on my 5 ton. If you go with that, feel free to message me as there are some electrical tricks you'll have to pull outta your booty to get them to work, and I've already fought and beat them.
I may just do that. I have one of the kits I bought many years back.
I got too much stuff already bolted up top to install the dam thing and be able to clear everything with a cupola installed as it is.
Curious what kind of tricks you had to do.
The wiring loom is massive .

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I may just do that. I have one of the kits I bought many years back.
I got too much stuff already bolted up top to install the dam thing and be able to clear everything with a cupola installed as it is.
Curious what kind of tricks you had to do.
The wiring loom is massive .
The wiring loom is pretty easy once you figure it out.

I covered that and all of the tricks with the solenoid for power in the linked thread.

long story short, theres a wire that plugs into the VIB (Vehicle Integration Box) and runs to the master power switch on the MRAP that provides power to a solenoid that closes the contacts to allow power to the bus bar. My 5 ton doesn't have that plug, so I bypassed the solenoid and ran the VIB directly to the battery box.

Also, the wiring loom is explained in the thread with some other head scratchers. Hopefully I can save you some of the headaches I had. Please feel free to reach out!

Oh, the book that came with it is pretty worthless if you aren't installing on an MRAP. It's written so 19 year old soldiers can plug slot "A" into hole "B" on an MRAP.

ANG3CHEAPSHOT

As cool as it looks with the lightbar over the windshield , not that practical. The glare from the hood takes away from the ability to see farther away. Even with the flat paint on the hood it still doesn’t help unless you put a shield under the light to almost reflect it up. There’s a lot of trial and error , it really depends on why your putting lights on.
got it, I think it is gonna be a lot of trial and
error for sure.

ANG3CHEAPSHOT

I've had a light bar on my M998 for about 4 years now. It's funny I set my truck up to mimic the setup from a M211 in a 70s movie called Sorcerer .

Did not realize it until this thread and encourage everyone to catch this great film.. Anyway my setup has six 1800ln leds on the bar and it lights up the world.

Mark

View attachment 876932

View attachment 876933

View attachment 876934
Do you have the info on the actual lights you used as well as the bar you mounted them on?

MarkM

CODE BROWN...It's all going to sh~t !
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have the info on the actual lights you used as well as the bar you mounted them on?
The light Bar I got from midwestmilitaryequipment and was a snap to install. The lights are armored units I got from Ziggy on the site. The Led bulbs 1800lm are from a company in the link in the tread below.

Mark

Coug

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ve never seen the storage rack. I’m gonna look around for one.
just about every one I've seen was sold to the public as part of the BEOD (Body, Explosive Ordnance Disposal).
For the price of just the rack selling on the secondhand market, I got the rack WITH my BEOD.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks