• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light Bars for my HMMWV

sully199

I am looking for a light bar set up for my HMMWV. Need some ideas of what y'all have done. anyone mounted one of the IBIS lights? do they make them for the HMMWV with brackets?

Than you,

jake-cutter

I have the Ibis Tek 78" light bar in the front and am trying to adapt an Ibis tek 24" for the rear. The Ibis Tek came with brackets that mate up to the side mirror holes in the windshield frame. However, the brackets are know to be a little weak and I will be having a set made out of steel when they start showing signs of fatigue.

Last edited:

Dock Rocker

I think I am going to run a duel civi light bar on mine. I know it's a bit frowned on here but I think it will suit my needs best. I am just going to bend up a bar to mount to the windshield hinges and remove the bumpers along the top of the windshield frame and make a support out of them.

Many of the light bars are good above 30 volts so they will play well with the 24 volt system in the truck now.

It will end up looking something like this.

jake-cutter

I agree with Dock Rocker if you want civi light bars. If I were to do it over again I would use Rigid or Aurora led light bars and cubes all over. I plan on adding some cubes and a mini light bar on the grill of mine when I get chance.

If you look in the hot rodding 5 ton section, you will see a civi light bar setup.

Dock Rocker

Let me know how do u plan on doing the wiring i am also interested in something like this dock rocker
I am going to get a blue sea fuse panel and tap 24 volts from the battery and run to the fuse block. I am going to run my interior lights as well as the light bars and rear cubes from the 24 volt block.

As far as routing the actual power wires I am going to bring the power wires through the tubing that the light bar mount frame to the passenger side. From there I will go under the hood to the fuse box.

TedG

I still have 66" HID Light bar kits for sale. My ad is gone so I'll repost soon. Google that and you will find my ads and posts.
TedG

TedG

I'm out if 78" Halogen but I have many 66" HID light bar kits. Look for ad tomorrow in classifieds.

Last edited:

jake-cutter

I am going to get a blue sea fuse panel and tap 24 volts from the battery and run to the fuse block. I am going to run my interior lights as well as the light bars and rear cubes from the 24 volt block.

As far as routing the actual power wires I am going to bring the power wires through the tubing that the light bar mount frame to the passenger side. From there I will go under the hood to the fuse box.
Do you plan on using any relays or are the not necessary? I have looked at running the Blue Sea circuit break and then the Blue Sea fuse box for power to a radio, interior light, and some led cube lights. Just don't know if relays are needed or even where they would go in a setup like that.

Dock Rocker

With something like light bars definitely use relays. I would put the bars on separate relays and the interior lights on a single relay unless you are using a pile of lights.

For the radio and such just use the fuse to control it.

jake-cutter

Dock Rocker, below is some of the set up I am leaning towards:

Running two Rigid Dually floods in the front and two in the rear
http://www.amazon.com/Rigid-Industr...&qid=1456194462&sr=8-1&keywords=rigid+duallys

Using a Blue Sea Circuit breaker between the batteries and fuse block
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...4434&sr=1-2&keywords=blue+sea+circuit+breaker

Blue Sea Fuse block (6 or 12 with neg) for the lights, radio, and back up camera system
http://www.amazon.com/Blue-Sea-Syst...=1417930426&sr=8-1&keywords=blue+sea+fuse+box

How would you run the relays for the lights?
Any diagram?
Also would the relays need to be 24V?

I was hoping to find something along the lines of an Spod with ram mount for 24V since it has the relays, fuses, and switch all in a combo package:
http://www.4x4spod.com/category_s/75.htm

2w091

humvee2.JPGhumvee1.JPG
You're probably doing it for a different application but here is what we did. Much of our time is spent on a six lane highway or other streets in bad weather. The more light the better.

They are 12volt, along with the siren box and console radio, both are wired to one battery with fuses. We also put in a cut off switch isolated to the 12volt equipment, the light bars had ballasts that were drawing enough current when off to effect the battery. The cut off switch also ensures if someone leaves on the radio or PA, it won't drain the batteries. Just like in the military, if someone doesn't follow the checklist, it doesn't matter anyway............:-x:D

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks