• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light Bulb Numbers List for CUCV's

ssdvc

Maybe this would make a good "Sticky" and maybe not. I looked (as best as my skills allow) and I didn't find a comprehensive list for what light bulbs go where in our trucks. Also, when converting to LED, what bulbs must remain incandescent, in order to maintain proper operation of certain circuits and what bulbs can be updated to LED. I know one can find most exterior lighting bulb requirements in several automotive parts houses, but sometimes they also list several different numbers/types of bulbs for some of the applications. Maybe it's a dumb question, but I would love to see a list of which ones fit our needs/trucks the best AND what LED equivalents would work and where.

ssdvc

I know I thought it was sort of a dumb question, but I was still hoping for a response. Still look for all (interior and exterior) bulb types/numbers and which ones can be replaced by LED and which ones can't.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I believe the only ones that you can't change to LEDs are the GEN 1/2 dash lights. And maybe some of the exterior turn signal lights as it will screw with the original flasher so if you switch those you might have to change the flasher too.

So far on my truck I've switched the following to LEDs with no issues:
Reverse lights- PHILIPS 1156WLED
Headlights- PHILIPS H6054LED
Instrument Panel and Heater Control (all bulbs except GEN 1/2)- PHILIPS 168WLED but T10LED also worked
Side Indicator Bulbs- T10LED

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I know I thought it was sort of a dumb question, but I was still hoping for a response. Still look for all (interior and exterior) bulb types/numbers and which ones can be replaced by LED and which ones can't.
Take your current bulb numbers and cross them .

ssdvc

Thanks. I guess I am searching for additional information.

1. What bulbs cannot be converted to LED. Not sure, but I believe those are limited to the GEN 1 & 2 bulbs, which need to remain 168 incandescent, correct ?
2. According to some of the charts I am seeing, the remaining dash lights are 168
2. The front side marker lights on the fender, which also need to remain incandescent (again, 168?)
4. In a few of the charts, there are 6 bulbs total for the rear lighting. On my truck, I have a mix of bulbs, left and right, so that is one of the reasons I am asking.

I want to convert to LED, but I don't want to waste money on bulbs that won't fit or won't work.

adf5565

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks. I guess I am searching for additional information.

1. What bulbs cannot be converted to LED. Not sure, but I believe those are limited to the GEN 1 & 2 bulbs, which need to remain 168 incandescent, correct ?
2. According to some of the charts I am seeing, the remaining dash lights are 168
2. The front side marker lights on the fender, which also need to remain incandescent (again, 168?)
4. In a few of the charts, there are 6 bulbs total for the rear lighting. On my truck, I have a mix of bulbs, left and right, so that is one of the reasons I am asking.

I want to convert to LED, but I don't want to waste money on bulbs that won't fit or won't work.
I will answer to the best of my ability:

1- correct
2- correct
3-I changed my front side market lights to LEDs with the T10s. I don’t have any issues with them flashing, maybe the draw is enough from the other blinking lights that the flasher doesn’t notice. The 168s have the same socket but don’t know regarding flasher impact on those.
4- 1156s for reverse and T10s for rear side indicator. I didn’t change the remaining bulb to LED (brake/turn signal/running) so can’t answer definitively there.

ssdvc

Thanks ADF.

I did swap out my flasher module for an LED compatible a little while ago. Mine original failed, so that piece seemed a no brainer.

ssdvc

Working to take apart the dash today. Are the turn signal indicator bulbs also 168's?

cucvrus

In fact, they all have the same base, they're all made the same with the same incandescent filament - the only difference is the wattage. Depending on the number of the bulb; 194 versus 168, all it does is dictate the amount of wattage the bulb draws. The more wattage the bulb draws, the more bright it is.
However, there are a number of differences between them such as the fact that 168 bulbs are brighter than 194 bulbs. However, lifespan is better on 194 bulbs and they also produce less heat.
Check it out.

ssdvc

In fact, they all have the same base, they're all made the same with the same incandescent filament - the only difference is the wattage. Depending on the number of the bulb; 194 versus 168, all it does is dictate the amount of wattage the bulb draws. The more wattage the bulb draws, the more bright it is.
However, there are a number of differences between them such as the fact that 168 bulbs are brighter than 194 bulbs. However, lifespan is better on 194 bulbs and they also produce less heat.
Check it out.
Thanks Rick, I didn't know that. If I go LED in the dash, does it make a difference with the bulb type? I have found the 168 LED, but haven't looked for the 194 replacement ..... yet.

cucvrus

IMHO 168 or 194. I have access to a unlimited 194 bulbs that were left over from the dinosaur ages so I just stock them in containers and use them. It's a light bulb. Even in a museum no one would know the difference. If you have a CUCV that I built and it needed the wedge base bulb during the rebuild it got a 194 all the way around. It's a light bulb and it lights. But the heat factor is great to know in the crispy ancient plastic instrument cluster. Crispy and crunch every time you handle it. I say go for it on the 168 LED.

Last edited:

ssdvc

OK, one last (hopefully) question. According to the video, a 168 bulb goes into the GEN 1 holder and a 194 bulb goes into the GEN 2 holder. It that correct? For reference, does anyone know where is this (and other lighting) tidbit of information kept?

Waiting on my red and yellow LED's to show up so I can complete this.

jplace1011

OK, one last (hopefully) question. According to the video, a 168 bulb goes into the GEN 1 holder and a 194 bulb goes into the GEN 2 holder. It that correct? For reference, does anyone know where is this (and other lighting) tidbit of information kept?

Waiting on my red and yellow LED's to show up so I can complete this.
I’m glad you watched it and that it helped. I used it for reference for my dash rebuild/upgrade. The guy who put the video together, Johnny, is very helpful and has other videos as well.

I’m going to go out on a limb and say the Bulb Types are listed in the TM’s (Technical Manuals). A decent chance it is in one of the TMs that have a p (for parts) at the end of the number. If you don’t already have a copy of them let me know.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ssdvc

Thanks JP. Yeah, that guy is about two hours north of me, in Haverhill MA. I just got done watching a lot of his videos. Straight forward and easy to understand.

As for the TM's, I have a complete library (even two originals (w/updates). I have been going through them over the last week and hopefully I will find somethng.

ssdvc

OK, done with the relamp and reassembling my dash. However, I thought it a good idea to test before completing the reassembly task.

So now I have a quick question. All lights are bright lights (pics to follow) but when waiting for the glow plugs (Wait Light flashing), I just noticed that my GEN 1 (a regular 168 lamp) and my GEN 2 (a regular 194 lamp) are not lighting up before the engine is turned over. IIRC, they are supposed to be lite before engine fire, correct? Now, I have not yet connected up my voltmeter, could that have something to do with it?

cucvrus

Get them working now. The voltmeter has nothing to do with it. It seems you have a loose / poor connection at the back of the printed circuit board or a loose corroded socket. Check everything and make everything work before reassembling the cluster. That is why I like to let the housing installed and unload the gauges out thru the front and reassemble in reverse. Make sure everything works. Old vehicles require a lot of patience and attention. I remember my 1968 SS396 Chevelle. The bulbs were all just on sockets and the harness and I removed the cluster to put speakers in the dash. Biggest nightmare. I was 16 at the time. Live and learn, Good Luck. Clean your contacts with a pencil eraser and slightly bend the prongs of the socket outward. Make sure the contacts on the socket are going on top of the printed circuit board and not slipping under the circuit board. Take Care.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks