• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light on 4x4 selector

iluvbudwsr

Hey everyone, I've searched the forums and cant find the answer to my question so here it goes. Is the 4x4 selector on the floor supposed to have a light in it so that you can see at night if you're in 2wd,4wh,N....ect... like most civi models? Mine has 2 wires running from the selector on the floor so before i go taking it apart I was hoping someone could tell me. I was thinking if so mine is just burnt out and needs replaced if that's the case which is no problem. Thanks for any insight on this.

idM1028

Yes. My lights kinda so-so too. I really don't worry about it. I know when I'm in 4wd and when I'm not. Here's the wiring diagram. Notice the 4wd light switch. I'd say see if you can bypass that switch and get the light to come on. If you can then it's more than likely a bad switch. If not, then it's something else in the circuit (which fortunately, looks pretty straight forward and simple)

Attachments

Psywarrior

Looks to me like there may be a bit of miscommunication here. The wiring diagram shown is for the dash lights. i believe he is asking if the selector housing has illumination like the gear selector display for the regular gear shift. I.E. he is looking for a light in the black box on the floor. Page 359 of the 289-20 shows disassembly of the transfer case selector housing and does not show a light or wiring for a light. However, this may be incomplete. Also, the way it is depicted, I don't see how adding a light inside the housing can illuminate the display. If not, I would recommend adding an LED light bar next to it for illumination.

Just to be clear, you don't want to just look at the dash to see if in 4wd, but look at the transfer case selector (gear shift on the floor) and know exactly what mode you are in.

Psy

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
No, the floor shifter is not illuminated.

boomer431

The housing has the hole for a bulb. I picked up a socket at a salvage yrad and wired it to the dash bulb on the heater control panel.

idM1028

Oops. My mistake. Thought he was talking about the one in the dash... I've a M1028A1 (NP205 T-case) so the only way I can really tell is through feel (steering binds up, truck goes unusually slow, etc.) That and just remembering whether I left it in 2H, 4H or 4LO, but I also don't use my 4wd that much either.

iluvbudwsr

@ Psywarrior, you hit the nail in the head for the question I was asking! Indeed I was talking about the transfer case selector of the floor. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I may have not been too clear in my original posting but I like you have a tendency to agree that even though the dash light may be lit up saying in in 4x4 I still like to have the transfer case illuminated. I think maybe an LED light is the way to go in this case just due to the longjevity of an LED. Now to the drawing board to see what I can do to add this feature because I'm pretty picky and when someone looks at my truck I want it to be 100% like it just came off the factory floor. Thanks for the help and despises guys...

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
@ Psywarrior, you hit the nail in the head for the question I was asking! Indeed I was talking about the transfer case selector of the floor. Thanks for clarifying that for me. I may have not been too clear in my original posting but I like you have a tendency to agree that even though the dash light may be lit up saying in in 4x4 I still like to have the transfer case illuminated. I think maybe an LED light is the way to go in this case just due to the longjevity of an LED. Now to the drawing board to see what I can do to add this feature because I'm pretty picky and when someone looks at my truck I want it to be 100% like it just came off the factory floor. Thanks for the help and despises guys...

If you want it to be 100% like it came off the line, you better leave that light off.

iluvbudwsr

Man I sure have'nt. I had some other issues come up. the front end is ceased up up so any of the shops I took it to said i have to buy a bunch of new parts so I can get my alighnment strait so i've been flloing with that. Its on my list to do. It wouldnt be hard to do at all though. its just a matter of having the time to do it. I would hardly cost anything to light the colum up. When i do anything to my truck i make sure it looks all stock so the hardest part would be hiding the wires which wouldnt be hard because on mine theres already two wires coming out of the the colum so you could probably tap into one of of those...im not sure..as soon as I do it i will post photos and such..