• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light switch shutting down truck!?

astacey1403

Good morning everyone!

I am currently running into and odd issue with my 98 M1079. I just got all the lights working on the truck by replacing some fuses and swapping a few relays yesterday and the truck was running fine however, this morning for some reason when I turn on the lights for the truck I can hear a bunch of clicking from relays in the power distribution panel and then the truck shuts down. I have the old manual lock switch. It seems like something with the lights is dragging the hole system down for some reason. was wondering if any of you have run into the same issue. I think its a relay the is giving me a hard time as the ignition relay was doing something similar when I was working on getting the truck running.

Thanks for your time,

Wingnut13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I’ll second that advice. I knew I should have checked them as soon as I got the truck, I’ve had some odd issues/shutdown, no-starts etc. I found terribly corroded washers under the battery cable connection at my battery shut off switch. The picture below is of those washers. Everything is working better now!AF55A2BA-BB2E-4D2E-99AC-AD39C7A8DC4A.jpeg

G744

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Emery cloth is not good to use with contacts, the residue can lead to intermittant shorts and increased contact wear.

In the field, plain old fine sandpaper is better. A dollar bill pulled thru the contacts with light pressure on them is actually a good cleaner. The best is a diamond dust-impregnated flexible blade.

A clean cloth strip inpregnated with Caig DeOxit is also a great maint technique.

dotson90

I had a similar issue. When I would run with the lights on and hit a bump it would blow the lighting fuse and kill the truck. I pulled my dash apart and found that the wiring from the switch was rubbing on the hand throttle and shorting out. I was able to tape up the wiring and secure it better and I no longer have issues.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks