• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Light trouble

Diamondjim11

Hey, Guys,
I just changed the headlight on my 5 ton, and I didn't notice before but now when the headlights are on high beam I have the red indicator light. When I dim them the red light does not go out but glows very dimly. Is this normal? I didn't notice it before. And if not what is going on. I tried switching the end prong wires on the light, but that didn't help. :confused: Any suggestions? Thanks
Jim

OSO

Sounds like a bad ground to the lights, to keep the high beam light on. Use an ohm meter to check the grounding of the headlights:idea::idea::idea: OSO

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does it glow, with the gauge panel lights off?

Diamondjim11

It glows as long as the headlights are on. I believe it will stay on when the panel lamps are lit also. It just didn't seem right to be on all the time.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The reason I asked that was, there is some "residual/stray" light from the two gauge lights, that does make the highbeam indicator glow slightly.

Tonight, turn off your gauge panel lights and see if the highbeam indicator is still glowing with your lowbeams on.

Diamondjim11

I can tell you with the panel lights off,and the headlights on lowbeam the indicator glows dimly. On highbeams it is very bright. Once they are dimmed it is dim but very apparent at night.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well, two ways to figure this out for sure.

Remove the highbeam indicator lens cover(just unscrews), and look at the indicator bulb. Is it lit?

Or, remove the bulb and test for voltage.

If either test shows the light is actually lit, while on lowbeam, then you have a wiring problem.

I don't think you have any problem, from what you describe.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks