• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lighting Issue (no head lights, turn signals, heater)

mijon

Problem:

My dad left the light switch pulled out and the lights on. The next morning when I got in the truck I seen the that the light switch was pulled out but none of the lights where on. Upon further examination, I noticed that I had no turn signals and the heater didn't work. My batteries however where still fully juiced 12.4 volts each.

Question:

I was wondering if anyone has had this same problem when they left there light switch pulled out and "on". I'm not exactly sure what the actual problem is. Did GM make a " turn off" switch for these trucks? So it would blow the switch and not blow out every individual fuse or drain batteries? Any information would greatly be appreciated. Not exactly sure where to start tracking the problem. Especially with the heater element not working too.

mijon

Found Problem:

I had the neighbors trailer hooked up to my truck the night my dad left the lights on. The lighting on my neighbors trailer wasn't exactly right. And I ended up almost melting both the head light and heater fuse; Instead of draining the batteries.

Thanks Phil for the lighting schematics and TM's. Hope this is a useful post for someone else.

cucvrus

Melted / hot light fuse. That is a common issue with the CUCV. Just pull the fuse box out from under the dash split it and cut the wire on the rear fuse block area that feeds the lighting circuit and install an inline fuse. It is an easy inexpensive fix that way. 1 bolt under the hood at the bulkhead connector and 2 bolts/screws under the dash. You will need to put an inline fuse in for the brake lights also. I know others have different ways to do it. That is the quick easy way inexpensive and has lasted for 20 + years on a few of our trucks. I know others will give you advise. Once again it is my method. I am not an engineer or an electrician. Just a CUCV owner for the past 22 years. Drive 1 everyday. Good Luck I hope everything works out for you.