• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lighting relays/suggestions.

Anubis8472

I have a set of 24 volt armored vehicle headlights I decided to mount on the m1009 brush guard.
Originally I had some 6" KC lights I was planning to upgrade to HID's. After painting and preparing to order some HID kits I went out to see how they would look. Surprise! They won't. Unless I want to mount them sideways or in front of the current headlights/turn signals, they simply wont fit.
The smaller armored lights however, fit perfectly and look great. Sure, they are not anything close to the 55w HID's I had planned, but with their look and high/low beam function I'll get more use out of them.

My issue however, comes down to wiring. I was about to start running some wires when I realised the handfull of HD relays I have are all 12volt. Made a couple of quick stops and none of the local parts stores have any 24volt relays. Not a big deal, just means I won't be getting it done today.
That's when I sat down and figured I'd give some more thought to how exactly I want to wire these. I could simply run a couple switches and 24v relays OR....

What would be ideal is to run the low beam circut to operate with the current headlights, and the high beam circut on a manual switch. Problem is to do this I would need to find a dual voltage 12v control/ 24v supply relay. I havn't seen this anywhere. Can I simply use a 24v relay in this manner? I wonder if the existing 12v headlight circut can be used to switch a 24v and if it would have any impact on it's draw.

Has anyone seen 24volt relays with 12v control sides? Anyone have experience energising 24v relays with 12v? Anyone else wired these lights in a similar manner?

Suggestions?

jimmy-90

I have a 24v relay hooked to the heater on my spin on fuel filter I put on my truck but im wanting to think that I ordered it from RACOR. If my memory serves me right that relay cost something like $70.00 which is outrageous for a relay. I havent seen any 24v relays at the truck trailer and rv stores. You'll probly have to hunt for something like you are after on-line and hopefully it won't cost as much as RACOR charges lol. Also do you have pics of those lights!!!???

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Usually the switch leg of the relay doesn't care what the voltage is (within reason).

You could tap into the 12v highbeam circuit to energize the relay and the run 24v thru the switch leg. Power could come from the 24v buss bar.

jimmy-90

Looks awesome! It also looks like you've upgraded your headlights to an H4 set up. I can barely make out the H4 hi/lo bulb cap plus based on the bluish reflection from the sun im guessing those are hopped up bulbs as well. I've done that conversion to mine also and put hella xenon blue bulbs in it. What bulbs are you useing???

llong66

Usually the switch leg of the relay doesn't care what the voltage is (within reason).

You could tap into the 12v highbeam circuit to energize the relay and the run 24v thru the switch leg. Power could come from the 24v buss bar.

I agree with this, energize the relay with 12v and run the 24v through the switch portion, as long as you dont exceed the amperage of the relay, you should be fine.

Anubis8472

Looks awesome! It also looks like you've upgraded your headlights to an H4 set up. I can barely make out the H4 hi/lo bulb cap plus based on the bluish reflection from the sun im guessing those are hopped up bulbs as well. I've done that conversion to mine also and put hella xenon blue bulbs in it. What bulbs are you useing???

Aye, the headlights are higher watt H4's.
I'm not sure what brand the bulbs are, they came installed in the new housings. Something like 80/110 watts. I really like the whiter (and brighter) light they put out, though I don't much care for the blue reflection you see in the housing.
I had planned to replace them, assuming the 'included' bulbs would be cheap ones. They do work well though, so I figure I'll leave em in till they blow.

I also re-wired the headlight circut with new 12 gauge power/ground wires through relays. So the factory wiring now only switches the relays instead of supplying the lights. The headlight plugs are also new ceramic plugs.

On eebbaay you will find reasonably priced 80amp lighting relays w/ sockets. Also you will find 50 amp or less self resetting circuit breakers. A plastic project box w/ lid and go to town. I made a similar relay feed box for mine to switch lights, acc. fuse boxes, horns, etc. Very handy, keeps the wires in the eng. compartment and out of the cab where they get tangled in w/ all the other wires. Hi beams and low beams have separate feeds and separate circuit breakers. If you lose one, the other should work. Keep those lights on another circuit and you should never find yourself in the dark. I used the o.e.m. headlight feeds to switch my relays, and the wires from where I cut them to switch the relays on to the lights for the feeds.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks