• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lighting while towing.....

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
For those who tow/have towed with a bar, what do you guys do for tail lights/turn signals on the towed Deuce?

FMJ

mangus580

I have run wires to the existing lights on the towed deuce... dont forget a ground!

bullet nosed crimp connectors will connec to packard connectors, just not waterproof (and you may have to squeeze them a little)

MVtrucker

Just make up a light bar to hang on the tailgate. Civilian trailer lights with 24 volt bulbs installed. You can get a surplus military trailer cable to plug into a M-series tow vehicle.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Are 24 volt bulbs readily available?

I've got 3 105 trailers to pick up before I get the 3 trucks, maybe I can steal what I need off the one crappy trailer I bought. Which brings up another question, My 1008 should be good enough to move these empty trailers the 45 miles, I understand no brakes but everything else plugs in?, or are the 105 trailer lights 24v?

mangus580

Re: RE: Lighting while towing.....

FMJ said:
Kinda what I figured, where do you recommend splicing in?
I have a trailer pigtail, that I plug some 'flat 4 wire' into, string it to the back. Have it branched out to reach the lights, and just unplug the lights from the factory harness. Its only 2 wires on each light, so its pretty simple. (And you have to connect a ground someplace, anywhere really)

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
RE: Re: RE: Lighting while towing.....

Thats the exact same way I did my piggyback trip in 2003. I now have a towing light bar which is very nice but that way wroked perfectly for 2568 miles.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Re: RE: Lighting while towing.....

FMJ said:
Are 24 volt bulbs readily available?

I've got 3 105 trailers to pick up before I get the 3 trucks, maybe I can steal what I need off the one crappy trailer I bought. Which brings up another question, My 1008 should be good enough to move these empty trailers the 45 miles, I understand no brakes but everything else plugs in?, or are the 105 trailer lights 24v?
Bump

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!

Everything should be plug and play. The 105 trailer lights are 24v.

oilcan

Napa has the bulbs if any are burned out. Not sure of the numbers off hand, but a quick search will turn them up.

Michael

A trick that I picked up from a trucker I hired to move a semi trailer for me was to use extension cords for the wire. He bought two 50 foot orange extension cords with ground and cut the plugs off of them and run one down each side of the trailer. He also bought a couple of cheep vice grips to hold some standard trailer lights to the trailer. Of course he was using a civi tractor to pull a mil tailer with. The point is that you get three 14 gage wires bundled in a tough outer coat. Any discount store has them cheep and in multiple lengths. Just put whatever plug you need for your truck on one end and bullet connectors to use the existing lights or trailer lights on the other.

Most of the previous ideas are good for one or two tows. If you are going to make a habit of going and getting stuff esp if it is from GL I would recommend magnetic mount temporary lights. You are eventually going to go to pick up something that has had the lights removed or they don't work.

BEASTMASTER

i picked up a set of tow lights at walmart .they got magnets and you can put them anywhere. just put in 24 volt bulbs.ithink the wire is 20 feet long too.used a flat 4 wire plug to hook to the trailer recepticle on the truck. :driver:

A trick that I picked up from a trucker I hired to move a semi trailer for me was to use extension cords for the wire. He bought two 50 foot orange extension cords with ground and cut the plugs off of them and run one down each side of the trailer. He also bought a couple of cheep vice grips to hold some standard trailer lights to the trailer. Of course he was using a civi tractor to pull a mil tailer with. The point is that you get three 14 gage wires bundled in a tough outer coat. Any discount store has them cheep and in multiple lengths. Just put whatever plug you need for your truck on one end and bullet connectors to use the existing lights or trailer lights on the other.

Most of the previous ideas are good for one or two tows. If you are going to make a habit of going and getting stuff esp if it is from GL I would recommend magnetic mount temporary lights. You are eventually going to go to pick up something that has had the lights removed or they don't work.
This looks like it may be just what I need to do to get my M109 with. I have an old 3-wire extension cord about 50 feet in length, and an old trailer cable assembly. Cut in half I could get two 25-foot lengths, plus the additional length of the trailer cable should give me more than enough to plug into the tail lights on the back of the truck.

If only two wires are needed for each light, I should have no problem with grounds using the 3rd wire on each.

Any comments or suggestions?

LC

nk14zp

This looks like it may be just what I need to do to get my M109 with. I have an old 3-wire extension cord about 50 feet in length, and an old trailer cable assembly. Cut in half I could get two 25-foot lengths, plus the additional length of the trailer cable should give me more than enough to plug into the tail lights on the back of the truck.

If only two wires are needed for each light, I should have no problem with grounds using the 3rd wire on each.

Any comments or suggestions?

LC
You will be fine.

houdel

Actually only 4 wires total which splits into six at the tailights - A single taillight lead which splits and goes both taillights, a left turn signal, a right turn signal, and a single ground lead which splits and goes both taillights.

quickfarms

Uhaul is where I picked up my magnetic mount lights.

I do not mess with the trailer lights just put on the magnetic lights.

I use some rebar tie wire to secure the lights and cable.

You can buy the roll from home depot. Wrap the out side in duct tape cut a hole on the center and pull it from the center and no mess.

Barrman

Another trick is to go from trailer plug to trailer plug. Unscrew the rear vehicle blinker arm at the steering wheel and all the lights on the rear truck will do what you turn the front lights to. I set the rear 3 lever to "park" so I don't have tail lights in my mirror.

I only do the above when I am starting from home and know all the lights and wiring in the rear vehicle are good. All recoveries in the field are with a home made light bar on the tail gate of the rear vehicle.