• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lil help for a newcomber

Cptnemo89

Ok guys, new here. I've had my cucv now for roughly a year. I have had zero issues until last night. Was 20 degrees out, haven't started old Betty white in some time so she took a bit to warm up. Once warmed up I let her sit, then drove off to get some grub. Turn her off, eat, come back. No worky battery dead. Got a jump, left went home no biggie. For ****s and grins tried turning her back on after I turned her off. No worky. Lots of clicks under the dash with engine trying to crank. Long story short I suspect a bad starter relay, I was cranking her pretty hard because it was cold as balls. Burned it up. So took it apart, disconnected it jumped far left purple wire to red wire, while key was in on, (I had to have a jump doing so because my battery was low) turns out it jumping it works, bad relay. Question of the day is I have a true 24 volt system (first positive to starter, second positive to first battery's negative, and second battery's negative to ground) does the dog head starter relay mod work with that. I know how to do it the mod looks easy, just curious if I need to convert to 12v system or if I am good with current 24v system? I work on aircraft so tomorrow at work I will browse for relays that are 200 amp and up and see if I can make it work. Lastly, push to start? Heard of how it's done? Safe? Which wires I use? I'm bout to put a toggle button on that biyatch and call it a day. Thanks

Cptnemo89

Thanks, just making sure. I think I'm going to do that, although it's just a 200 amp relay if I can find one else where for free I'm going to do it. Also I know this is a touchy subject sometimes, full synthetic, blend or regular oil?

dougco1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Make sure you fully charge and load test your batteries. Weak or bad batteries will cause a multitude of issues as your finding out now. Your relay may not be bad because you still had to jump it when testing, just saying test & check your batteries.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I agree, i thought my batteries were toast in my civi truck, turned out the starter was junk. If you have to replace the starter, get one of the gear reduction units, way better than direct drive!

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do the Doghead relay modification.
Charge up both battery's

Enjoy Truck.

Is your voltmeter working?

eme411

Steel Soldiers Supporter
you need to install a block heater , solves a lot of problems , you can also get your truck going with a dead glow system, the glow system on one of my trucks is dead right now but I can drive it every day , last night -13, if you get the new hi torque starter there is a GM service bulletin that requires changing the stater relay to a heavier duty relay otherwise enjoy the FIRE,

Last edited:

Cptnemo89

Yea voltmeter is working on truck it's in the yellow, not at Green but that's because the battery is low, I ordered the starter relay from napa and it will be in tomorrow so we will see. I'll take pictures and show you what I got. All it is really is just an upgraded 200amp relay right? Some snip snip of the wires, crimping and install correct? And btw tinstar, what battalion where you at?

MarcusOReallyus

You don't need anything anywhere near a 200 amp relay for the doghead mod. The OEM is 40 amps, and that's overkill. Yes, 200 amps is the rating of the one that doghead specified.

You could probably use a 20 amp relay safely. I think antennaclimber is using one about that size.

But the one doghead spec'd is cheap. Go with that and be done with it.

Last edited:

Cptnemo89

This modification replaces the standard GM underdash starter relay, GM Part# 15591718 (which is prone to sticking), with a higher rated 200amp relay from Napa....

That's from a thread on here for the part number for the relay, it's a 200amp relay

Cptnemo89

1. Buy Napa part# 7-01860-1 (SME line) (you may need to delete the dashes to find the part) or part number
7018601 (remove the dashes). The same relay can also be bought at other parts houses. (Oreilly's, CarQuest, etc)

Word for word from a different thread it is a 200 amp relay

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks