• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Line-X or Rhino Bedliner On Underside of A3 Hood?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As most people know, if you have an M35A3 with an atrocious riveted steel hood, they rust and corrode badly on the bottom side. One factor is the inssulation that is riveted under the hood which tends to trap water. Water also gets under the rivets and under the central band of steel holding the two halves together.

I was able to get an NOS A3 steel hood from Carnac at the Georgia Rally this year. I was thinking about having spray in bedliner applied to the underside of the hood before I install the insulation. I would think this would significantly reduce the chances for rust and corrosion. Has anyone else done this with spray in bedliner or with undercoating? It would probably be even better to spray it on the top as well to really seal up the rivets and the band of steel, but this would change the appearance.

Vintage iron

Both Rhino and Line-x stick pretty good. Just make sure there is no rust before you have it sprayed. The bedliner should help with noise and heat too!

CobraCDR

Can the Rhino-liner or Line-X handle the heat that close to the engine? They both work great for sealing stuff and in the truck beds, but I wonder about them breaking down or deforming from the engine heat. Might be a good question for the shop on just what they can handle and if they have used it like that in the past. 2cents

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can the Rhino-liner or Line-X handle the heat that close to the engine? They both work great for sealing stuff and in the truck beds, but I wonder about them breaking down or deforming from the engine heat. Might be a good question for the shop on just what they can handle and if they have used it like that in the past. 2cents
The ability to stand the heat is a very good question. I have Rhino sprayed in the bed of a trailer I have. The color is black and it gets extremely hot in the sun, which is probably a very common problem. I'm not sure how hot it would get under the hood, but the heat is the reason I wanted to re-install the insulation under the hood. You have me worried though. I think I'll see if I can find the specs on both products and see if it says how much heat it will take.

CobraCDR

I have considered having quite a few areas sprayed with either of the compounds and I know it works great on all exterior surfaces, wheel wells, etc. It's just the extra heat of the engine (even if you re-install the insulation) that would be worth researching the specs on. Please keep us posted if you hear what they can handle or if you do it. I would be interested in doing the same to mine when I get home if we know it works.

CobraCDR

The sample is a good idea, but I'm sure if you called up one of the two companies or got their flyer, it would state what it's designed to survive. If it is safe for use under the hood like this, I'll bet they have it highlighted in their literature as a selling point. Even if they don't know off hand, if they want the business, they will make a few calls and find out for you.

steelandcanvas

I'm still kind of leaning toward the "rubberized coatings" that are available. I've had excellent results with 3M Rubberized Undercoating. I have used this product on Deuce battery boxes after blasting them down to bare metal. In another application, I coated the exposed sheet metal under the truck such as, the fuel tank and tool box. It runs about $6 or $7 for an 18oz can. Here is the link to some product information and the MSDS.

3M Rubberized Undercoating 08883

Attachments

Last edited:

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don't think that this would be any better than the Line-X and Rhino Lining, which are a Urethane product. The 3M coating is a Asphalt and Butyl rubber product.

All in all, I think that the Line-X and Rhino would be safer than the 3M for an underhood (high heat) application.

2cents

Last edited:

steelandcanvas

I don't think that this would be any better than the Line-X and Rhino Lining, which are a Urethane product. The 3M coating is a Asphalt and Butyl rubber product.
All in all, I think that the Line-X and Rhino would be safer than the 3M for an underhood (high heat) application.
2cents
I don't know, this stuff dried hard, but pliable, not rubbery at all. I didn't put it in the engine compartment though. The Military used some sort of undercoating/sound deadner on the firewall of some Deuces I've seen, what did they use?

glcaines

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just looked at the specs for Line-X. It is rated for use up to 250 deg F, but they also say that they have a similar product for commercial use that is good for up to 350 deg. F. I can't believe that the hood on an A3 would get over 250 deg F. The next warm day that I drive my deuce, I'll check the temperature of the hood. Probably worthless since it will undoubtedly get much hotter in the hot sun during summer. I wonder what it would look like on both sides of the hood. That would solve the potential problem of water getting trapped.

Kasper31

I have used the Amsoil MP, it is a heavy duty metal protector, in spray cans, I've used it on both bare and painted metal to protect it from corrosion here in Michigan where the salt / humidity eats up everything. It soaks in and crawls into the metal joints. It stays a little tacky and develops a skin that doesn't go away,,,,,,,for what it's worth, just my 2 cents....

BIGDDV

the exhaust temp is 600 to 1200 degrees at the turbo outlet
as a car dealer we used to have undercoat put under cars, right next to the exhaust with no problems

Commander5993

Steel Soldiers Supporter

Have you, or anyone else here, used the Lizard Skin Sound Deadening undercoat???

How good does it work under the hood and such, to deaden sound and vibrations???

Is there a cheap gun you can use to apply? I really don't want to pay $65 for a gun that I will just use once or twice.

Anyone have a better product suggestion for an undercoat type sound deadening material?

Thanks!

Blacksunshyne

Have you, or anyone else here, used the Lizard Skin Sound Deadening undercoat???

How good does it work under the hood and such, to deaden sound and vibrations???

Is there a cheap gun you can use to apply? I really don't want to pay $65 for a gun that I will just use once or twice.

Anyone have a better product suggestion for an undercoat type sound deadening material?

Thanks!
I am interested in this stuff as well. I was thinking about coating the interior of the engine compartment and cab floor with it. I have never used it and would love some first hand knowledge.