• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

List of mods I have completed on my deuce

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here is a listing of the mods I have done on my deuce over the years:
Driven off the Camp Lejeune USMC base in NC back in 1995,
it started out as an M49A2C (1968) with a N/A multifuel engine.

1)Removed the 1,200 gallon tank
2)Installed a mil spec 1972 HIAB 765A K-boom crane (from a Navy International Loadstar truck)
3) Use crane to remove winch (too much weight on front axle)
4) Built a flat bed. Used aluminum deck plate from the Loadstar
5) Flipped hubs and installed single 900's
6) Installed right angle air intake
7) Installed light bar with flood lights and "DOT" markers
8) Installed marker lights on front fenders and on truck bed
9) Separated rear brake lines and installed brake lock on one side. Experimented with braking one side only to help turn in mud and snow. Never finished experiments, but it did make the turn radius smaller by a few feet.
10) Installed speedo adapter for 1100's tires.
11)Installed 1100's tires
12)Converted to turbo (non-whistler)
13)Installed device to make buzzer work for turn signals
14)Installed back-up lights that work off shift lever
15)Installed "plumbing" so that axle housings could be pressurized.
16)Installed coolant filter
17)Installed alcohol evaporator
18)Installed backup alarm
19)Installed crankcase breather filter venting it just below the mushroom for recirculation of crankcase fumes
20)Installed higher air intake for fording.
21)Installed 3-station VIC-1 intercom w/CB radio
22)Installed flame heater monitoring device
23)Installed pyro and boost gauges
24)Installed "inclinometer" to check tilt while driving on side slopes
25)Installed "Bikini top"
26)Replaced home made bed with M756 pipeline truck bed
27)Installed LED type rear TTS lights
28)Started to install new military style marker lights, including blackout marker lights
29)Installed plywood custom radiator cover
30) Installed modified 25Amp regulator
31) Installed air operated exhaust brake
32) Installed headlight relay w/override switch
33) Installed relay to reduce load on turn signal flasher unit
34) Installed separate vent line for the airpak
35) Installed oil sampler valve on oil cooler
36) Installed fiberglass battery box
37) Installed dual battery maintainer/charger (years ago. It failed in a lightning storm and has not been replaced)
38) Installed radio mount and suppressor
39)Installed 24 to 12 V power supply for CB radio
40)Installed dual fuel tank system for biodiesel w/control panel
41)Installed 110VAC heating pad for batteries
42)Installed HMMWV convex mirror on passenger side.
43) Installed brake line pressure gauge
44)Installed device to monitor fuel density compensator movement
Easily shows difference in viscosity for diesel and biodiesel.

Top speed 62 mph
Max boost noted: 12 psi
Max fuel milage noted: 9.5 mpg.
Weight empty: 16,000 lb
Crane lift capacity: 8,250 lb 6ft out, 4,200 lb 12 ft out etc.
Crane max reach: 25 ft
Fording ready for 5 ft of water. (by plugging bell housing and pressurizing axle housings and transfer case)

Hookin1

Holy smoke Bjorn,you have been very busy :) Good job,not to mention all the Tech articles.......on behalf of every one they have helped you deserve a great big

THANKYOU [thumbzup]

pistolnut

Wow! You set the bar pretty high for the rest of us. I have really enjoyed reading your articles here. I'm curious about the exhaust brake. I just became the proud owner of a deuce (see www.M715zone.com, other military vehicles, Kelser M-70 for full story). I was thinking that what the un-muffled multifuel needs on top of the whistler is a jake brake. Are these available? How does yours work and where did it come from?

I'm also interested in the intercom system. I've read the posts about how it is installed and what it consists of, but I've only been able to find vendors selling them new. Are there surplus units out there? Am I overlooking something?

I wish I had the benefit of all of the magazine articles. I plan to subscribe soon.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I, for one have marveled over Bjorn's masterpiece. If you guys ever get a chance to check out the cranetruck, I suggest you do and take your time. Every turn reveals a new and neat item. Some of the stuff Bjorn has done isn't on the truck. I remember the desplined front hubs with torrington bearings and the voltage chopping box for running 12V trailer lights off the 24V system. If you do have time to finish looking at the truck, chedck out the M103A3 trailer he has. His handiwork has spilled over into the trailer as well.

clinto

Moderator, wonderful human being & practicing Deuc
Staff member
Administrator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good grief!!!!

How does the backup light switch on the shifter work? I think that's a great idea.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey, you guys make me :oops: .
The stuff I do are usually small compared to engine swaps, dual cab projects etc.
In a way i like to make the deuce "All it can be" , just not in the Army. :)

Yeah, there are things that I didn't mentioned, like the bored out front hubs (with Torrington needle bearings), things that I didn't find that useful after all.

Bjorn
MVPA19212

Desert Rat

Yeah, but you definitely set the standard by which we judge ourselves by far! 'Storm doesn't measure up but give me enough time and she might come close someday.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To continue the list:
45) Fuel temperature gauge
46) Air filter canister vacuum gauge
47) FDC bypassed
48) 2nd FDC installed for fuel viscosity monitoring
49) Siped tires for better wet pavement traction
50) Clock installed
51) dedicated ground wires for marker lights and turn signals
52) Side marker lights connected to the #21 tail light wire
53) Differential oil pressure gauge to monitor oil filters
54) Exhaust brake back-pressure gauge

Mods spilled over to the xm757 8x8:
1) Engine oil bypass filter
2) Flame heater fuel heater
3) Racor fuel water separator/filter/heater
4) Dual heated fuel tank system
5) Device for monitoring in-tank pump and fuel return switches so that fuel is not returned to wrong tank un-noticed while purging the bio fuels from the filters.
6) Flame heater cut-off solenoid valve
7) Fuel burning heater exhaust diverter valve for heating the oil pan (not completed)
8) Manual preluber for the engine, later removed.
9) Side marker lights connected to #21 tail light wire
10) Back up light switch installed
11) Optical flame heater monitoring device
12) Exhaust manifold drilled for dual pyrometer set-up

spicergear

Bjorn, question about an item in the first list: The seperated rear brake lines. Isn't that asking a couple of things to battle each other? When you lock up one side of the rear, through the differential design, the other side will be overspeeded from how fast you initially were/are traveling. If you're in 6 wheel, braked side will push faster and be shoving against the front axles normal speed. Rockcrawlers do something like this in there vehicles (apples and oranges...I know) where they shift the T-case to front drive only then lock the rear axle. Digging, or front-dig, as it's sometimes called is uses the front then to pull around the corner dragging the rear. Tightens up turns a LOT. Maybe some shift rail mods are possible with the deuce T-case (like the NP205, ATLAS, Stak...etc) to run front drive only. A line lock to keep pressure on the rears and you could possibly drag a real tight turn in a pinch.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
This goes back a number of years, I found it very difficult to take a turn on a muddy surface with duals, so I separated the rear brake lines and installed a brake lock on one side for testing.
The brakes worked normally with the foot pedal, a separate switch let me lock the one side to help make a turn. It worked, but I didn't pursue the project to completeness, instead I flipped the rear hubs and installed singles, which was a satisfactory solution.
The rear brake lines are still separated and the brake lock is still installed on one side. Maybe one day....

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bjorn:
I always like to read your posts too and enjoyed your sailing links too. Is the 8 X 8 going to get most of the same mods or which ones would you rank order as a most benificial and another list as easy button jobs. Between you and Devilman I think the entire duece spectum is reached.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Believe it or not David, I think most mods are beneficial and it boils down to cost, it takes me forever with the current budget
I wouldn't do the brake thing on the 8x8....some things were done from factory on the 8x8, things that were "reinvented" by yours truly, including such a small detail as drilling holes in the dash illumination caps to brighten the display! I'm also using a bulb design that places the filament lower and now have satisfactory viewing (?) at night.
Note: The holes may be for ventilation/cooling also, but they definetly increase the light intensity.

I did install isolation relays for the head lights and flasher modules the other day (image below).
To stay with the original design goals, I use MS connectors to feed wires thru the waterproof cab, so wiring gets more involved. That goes for boost pressure tubing and thermocouple wires too (yet to be installed).

Attachments

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Bringing up an old thread. Bjorn do you have any pics of your crankcase filter set up, Ive got so much blowby its visible from the drivers seat when stopped in traffic and the fumes are killing me.

Djfreema

In Memorial
In Memorial
Thanks for the pic. Is the filter something you made or or an over the counter universal type unit? I need to do something this week before the 4th of July parade. I also like how your XM757 sends it through the exhaust but I think it will be "greener" to recirculate the fumes. Ive taken the truck out and run it long and hard hoping it will help but its just a slobbering mess.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks