• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Little Bit of Smoke in the Morning, is it Normal??

ssdvc

When I start my 09 up in the morning, when it is below 35-40, she blows a bit of smoke. Just for a second or so, and it is bluish/white. It also smells like unburnt fuel. Is this normal? Everything else seems to be working well.

Thanks.

Vet89

I think it depends on the color of the smoke. There is a good post about this somewhere on the site. I think I would be worried if mine didnt smoke a little when I started it up.

edpdx

My Blazer will do this on cold start-ups. I think the longer the glow plugs have been on, the more smoke I see.

treessw

all mine do, just pay attention. If its continuing to do it after normal operating temp ranges are reached and as you are going down the road than it could be a issue, you will need to "read" the smoke. A little bit in the morning in cold weather is nothing to fret over. It is a diesel after all :beer:

BIG_RED

At -40* ambient temp, my M1009, after 15 minutes of idling (heat blowing warm), throws out enough white smoke (slightly bluer than gasser smoke - which looks almost grey next to her, If I sound nuts park a good running gasser and diesel side-by-side out in the cold - you'll see what I mean) to make it hard to see the vehicle behind me. After about a 20 minute drive, she barely smokes at all. In the summer, no smoke ever except the first 5 seconds after a cold start. She's got 81,000 miles on her, starts easy and runs very well. Consumes a tiny bit of oil but it's because of a leak, not burning. I wouldn't worry about it.

USAWEAPON777

If its cold out, expect it too smoke some at startup. I have a feeling my glowplugs are on their way out and when it gets down in the low teens she knocks and smokes pretty good for a minute. I view it as a nice feature. The other day I was stuck in a parking lot in traffic at school and this one guy pulled out behind me and stopped and I couldn't back out. I started her up and floored it. hehe audi cab +soot = hilarious.

deuceaid

Banned
if it were warm out ( like 70, like it is here in california in the winter), and gave white smoke for a short time then went away in a minute or two, it would be valve stem seals........but considering where you are---its not warm,,, I would only worry about it in the summertime, and if it were blue It would be piston rings going bad ( at least on a gas engine) ,,

ssdvc

Thanks All. She smokes for just about 5-10 seconds or so, nothing more, so I'll assume I'm good to go. My TDI just did it this morning, but I think it was because it was about 15 degrees out.

I love diesels !