• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMC Headlights question?

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think they are very simular, but I would same they are a differrent brand.

The description makes them sound like they would be a good choice.

Being from Ireland, you choices are probably limited.

Barrman

They are probably comprable. The Sylvania version in my mind is a great product because it is very much brighter and pretty darn cheap at our local parts store. You being in a different country might have different regulations to deal with as far as what is legal to use.

If you are going to mail order, just get the Sylvania's from O'Reilly's or NAPA. Heck, Amazon probably has them cheaper than the regular sources.

HOWEY

They are probably comprable. The Sylvania version in my mind is a great product because it is very much brighter and pretty darn cheap at our local parts store. You being in a different country might have different regulations to deal with as far as what is legal to use.

If you are going to mail order, just get the Sylvania's from O'Reilly's or NAPA. Heck, Amazon probably has them cheaper than the regular sources.

Thanks for the advice, the reason i asked was if you look closely at the pics of the headlights in the lmc catalog you can just make out that they are slyvania ones its printed on the top of the light:confused:, i was hoping someone who bought off them could say yeah they are the real deal or not. Thanks again guys[thumbzup]

K9Vic

I have had the same Sylvania Silver Star lights in my M1009 and they are brighter then OEM and recommended. However, if you want even brighter lights then go to page 63 and get the 36-0282 clear lights with H4 bulb and 36-3580 heavy duty head light harness. You have to use the head light harness as it will overload the circuit and melt the fuse in the block. This is much brighter then the Silver Star lights and glad I upgraded to these. I do more driving at night and need better light output, and the H4 system is much better.

CGSDarkstar

FYI if you go with K9Vic's option you can upgrade the 60/55 H4 Bulbs for OFF ROAD USE only to either the 80/100 or 90/130. I have a set of the 80/100 and they are super bright and light up the trail superbly. Just Please don't blind your fellow drivers by using these illegally :grin:

xenocath

searching.............
i also use the h4 light set up from lmc. best investment i have made ,the set i am running has been on 4 diffrent trucks and lasted quite a number of years over 6 i would guess and thats with the bulbs they sent with em.

jimmy-90

I have had the same Sylvania Silver Star lights in my M1009 and they are brighter then OEM and recommended. However, if you want even brighter lights then go to page 63 and get the 36-0282 clear lights with H4 bulb and 36-3580 heavy duty head light harness. You have to use the head light harness as it will overload the circuit and melt the fuse in the block. This is much brighter then the Silver Star lights and glad I upgraded to these. I do more driving at night and need better light output, and the H4 system is much better.
I noticed that the LMC catolog doesn't say how much the 36-0282 lights cost. Do you remember how much they were? I would love to upgrade to something like that. Also do they come with H4 bulbs or are they something that you have to buy seperately?

motomacguyver

I will third the H4 head light option. Once you have the reflector portion of the assembly, you can add almost any bulb you want, from35 watt to 130+ watts. I put a set on my duece and am very happy with the performance vs. price.

Sharecropper

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you really, really, really want to light up the world in front of your truck, you may want to consider the E-code Hella which will illuminate 5500 feet on high beam. Although not DOT approved in the U.S., these things are baby laser beams. The standard H4 bulbs on low beam will let you drive past the local authorities, however be careful not to switch to high beam until the cop's tail lights are gone from the rear view mirror. They are equivilent to airplane landing lights. Available from Susquehanna Motor Sports in Fleetwood, PA Susquehanna MotorSports - Auto Performance Product . Because these lamps pull high amperage, you must bypass the headlight switch and use the special harness, which plugs into the stock CUCV harness. Here's a photo which confirms the stock look:

Attachments

68impalass

I can also say the Hella 200mm H4's are the absolute best. I even put in a set of Bi-xeon H-4 bulbs and WOW- they are bright. The bi-xeon ballasts and bulbs were almost plug and play and come with the relay and the price was right.

lindyp38

my headlights are original military issue ones....that is......ones that came with the truck when i got it from fort meade.....

id go with online ordering...and whichever provides u with the cheapest shipping.....

what are the names of the auto suppliers in ireland...?

good luck......erin go braugh.....lol....

HOWEY

I noticed that the LMC catolog doesn't say how much the 36-0282 lights cost. Do you remember how much they were? I would love to upgrade to something like that. Also do they come with H4 bulbs or are they something that you have to buy seperately?

$34.95 for a single light :cool:

Ive taken the plunge and ordered the lights and the up armoured harness from LMC, aftermarket parts for old american trucks are hard to come by here in eire, i could get them in the uk but they still got to ship em over from the U.S, so im cutting out the middle man[thumbzup]
Will stick with the bulbs supplied unfortunately cos tough laws here on "runway lights " come annual inspectionrofl
Thanks to all for the response........

K9Vic

I really do not have to worry about not enough lights when off-road, but the main concern was when on-road. Even though I am in the middle of Dallas & Forth Worth subs, there are still some roads that are dark that I drive. So the investment was well worth the money for my safety.

The 100 watt lights on the roof are plenty to see where I am going when legally able too. I also have two 10 watt LED lights that are good for aux driving lights that I use with the high beams. The ones next to these are not hooked up anymore, they got replaced by the LEDs.

Attachments

jimmy-90

I really do not have to worry about not enough lights when off-road, but the main concern was when on-road. Even though I am in the middle of Dallas & Forth Worth subs, there are still some roads that are dark that I drive. So the investment was well worth the money for my safety.

The 100 watt lights on the roof are plenty to see where I am going when legally able too. I also have two 10 watt LED lights that are good for aux driving lights that I use with the high beams. The ones next to these are not hooked up anymore, they got replaced by the LEDs.
That's some pretty serious lighting power. I like the speaker mounted on the bumper. I've been meaning to get an intercom for my truck for a good while. Is that a CB radio or just an intercom system?

K9Vic

The speaker is a 100 watt used for electric sirens on emergency vehicles. I have it for an airhorn as we all know the OEM one is weak. My airhorn is a Federal Signal PA300 that has all the siren tones disabled internally so it is legal. It also has a PA that I can use and I can hook it up to my CB or radio (But is not connected). My M1010 has the same setup, but two speakers for 200 watts total.

Stihl029

I run the E-code Hella's here in Alaska on all my rigs. They let you see so much better, as it tends to be rather dark in the winter months.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks