• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LME maintenance tent erection

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
sweet...... went back and looked and your correct... they are "uploaded" apparently at some point they switched to "hosting" on their own servers. Wonder what year they did that hmmmm...

How long is standard LME? thought it was 24x32ft? (taken from their website) or is it only 16'.... with 32' as an option iffff you tie a second one in?
Standard LME is 24 x 32. You can extend indefinitely. I found another 16 foot section and added on to one of the tents to make 48'. The only thing that I think will cause me problems long term are the buckles which break during hurricane winds in the south :)

coachgeo

Standard LME is 24 x 32. You can extend indefinitely. I found another 16 foot section and added on to one of the tents to make 48'. The only thing that I think will cause me problems long term are the buckles which break during hurricane winds in the south :)
Do you coat them with something yearly or so to extend the tarp life? Do the buckles break themself or the threads holding the buckles give way?

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you coat them with something yearly or so to extend the tarp life? Do the buckles break themself or the threads holding the buckles give way?
I figure I will get 20 years on the tent fabric. I could put on 303 spray to improve the UV protection on both the buckles and overall rubber canvas, but I do not. The buckles are not UV resistant and break. they have not yet come unthreaded which I am sure will happen over time from the sun. When did I start this post? The tent has been there a few years now.

coachgeo

I figure I will get 20 years on the tent fabric. I could put on 303 spray to improve the UV protection on both the buckles and overall rubber canvas, but I do not. The buckles are not UV resistant and break. they have not yet come unthreaded which I am sure will happen over time from the sun. When did I start this post? The tent has been there a few years now.
started in 2015... thus why asked if you had done anything to keep it good so far. Glad to hear their life is doing good even without additional coating..... you put lot of time into the project and it came out awesome. Thanks for all you do .

quick question... after assembly and before tying it down of course.... do you think a dozen to twenty folk could take an assembled LME and lift; then walk it, to another location..... that is the main question need answering for where I want to put mine. Not enough room to splay out legs during assembly where i want to actually have it sit.

Last edited:

swiss

Steel Soldiers Supporter
started in 2015... thus why asked if you had done anything to keep it good so far. Glad to hear their life is doing good even without additional coating..... you put lot of time into the project and it came out awesome. Thanks for all you do .

quick question... after assembly and before tying it down of course.... do you think a dozen to twenty folk could take an assembled LME and lift; then walk it, to another location..... that is the main question need answering for where I want to put mine. Not enough room to splay out legs during assembly where i want to actually have it sit.
I believe assembled it weighs 1200 lbs. You have a leg brace every 8 feet. That is 6 per side or 12 good areas to pickup. You could put 2 guys on each leg brace. Would not be the easiest thing to do but where there is a will there is always a way.

coachgeo

I believe assembled it weighs 1200 lbs. You have a leg brace every 8 feet. That is 6 per side or 12 good areas to pickup. You could put 2 guys on each leg brace. Would not be the easiest thing to do but where there is a will there is always a way.
sweet thank you so much.

something else just hit me feeble brain. do you think it would be possible to use scaffolding inside to poke a body up thru between two tarp sections to slowly attach the two pieces together across the top, starting on one side and working toward the other?... then do the vertical sections on the outside (or again reaching thru inside for that matter from top to part way down toward bottom). OR a combination such as only install certain tarps in advance to carrying it. Then do the rest from inside out via scaffolding. If that might work... what tarps would you recommend to save for doing the inside out job on? middle or ends or??

Aka... doing less tarps before moving opens up the option to move the frame without as much of the rubber tarp on making it lighter; then winching tarp section up and assembling from inside out. I saw that you did a flying squirrel fellow to do the top from the outside by hanging him from a crane.... won't have that option though thus the inside out option question.

thanks again!!!

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks