• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lmtv 1078 bed dimensions

Ned81

Does anyone have a diagram of the 1078 bed. I am looking specifically for the position and dimensions of the 4 square holes in the corners. I’m having a habit built and want to use those holes to attach it to my bed. I can measure but it need to be exact so a diagram might be better.
TIA!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Awesomeness

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Does anyone have a diagram of the 1078 bed. I am looking specifically for the position and dimensions of the 4 square holes in the corners. I’m having a habit built and want to use those holes to attach it to my bed. I can measure but it need to be exact so a diagram might be better.
TIA!

I like the idea. I don't think there are any dimensionally accurate drawings of the bed available. I don't know what tolerance the bed is constructed to either, but it's probably not too tight (e.g. one bed to the next may vary 1/8" between the post holes?).

Trying to mate to all four post holes at the same time may be tricky. It will likely require one post to be rigid/fixed, and the others to be floating/adjustable (potentially with the ability to tighten/lock them in place once they are seated and pinned).

I have the LMHC (Light Material Handling Crane) that goes in the post hole, and the hole in the side for the safety pin is also very tight tolerance, causing a minor hassle having to wiggle the crane post around to get the hitch pin in. With more than one post, you'll have to have some capability to wiggle the posts around to accept the safety pins.

As something to think about, here's a note from one of my engineering design guides: "Only use 2 dowel locating pins: Regardless of size, only use two dowels to mate two components together. Using more will over-constrain the parts, and likely the extra dowels will be misaligned the slightest bit, causing the parts to bind and not fit together easily."

Guyfang

Staff member
I don't think there are any dimensionally accurate drawings of the bed available.

Well, actually there is. But we cant get at them, unless you know someone in TACOM. So if anyone knows a TACOM Rep, you could ask. The last one I knew, retired last year.

Skyhawk13205

TIA!

I did that, I had to do a lot of measuring and moving the floor in and out. Even after it was done it still did not match up well. I ended up using all thread and plywood to hold the camper down, eventually I want to put in a steel plate mount with a spring in the middle to allow some movement.

Attachments

bluesteel01

From the little amount of these I've seen the beds are not so accurate. Probably best to measure yours out. Why wouldn't it be exact if you do it?
Or send your truck to the place building the habitat so they get it correct.

Third From Texas

For a hab insert I'd maybe come in a half inch in each direction of the insert (ie: 3.5"x3.5" vs 4"x4" then dampen it with a rubber sleeve of some sort.

But yeah, the first insert I made for my bed crane only fit properly in two of the four holes.. I made it fit too tight (assuming that the tolerances and securing points were the same for each hole).

Ned81

Thanks everyone for the ideas. I measured the bed. One hole was 1/8 off from the rest. I’m leaning towards making the inserts quite a bit smaller than the holes then dampening and/or a bolt on plate on the bottom like the plywood.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks