• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Lmtv a1r door lock key?

bwadswor

Just got mine rekeyed.

The locks in the doors of mine are "TM202" (as seen from the outside) which I think is the "newer style" door lock. The key blank is a TM4 (at least that's what my locksmith muttered). If you hunt around you can find "Trimark 202" keys, tumblers and blanks.

Fwiw, apparently many (or all?) of the trucks in the fleet are keyed the same way. I had a pair of "stock" keys cut and a pair of "new" keys cut with a different ordering of my tumblers. Took about 10 minutes to take the inner door panel off, prize out the tumbler, flip around the individual little plates and put it all back together. Nice to have fresh keys that are fairly unique.

If there is any question, its super easy to pull the tumblers and walk into a good lock smith. 4 new keys cost me 12 bucks and probably 8 minutes in the shop.

johnnydarock

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have a 1997 LMTV and I tried to take the door handle/latch off to take to a locksmith and I got the inner pannel off and took off the one bolt holding the latch on...and I can't figure out how to get it all the way off. Do I need to take off the upper latch? There seems to be two long, thick metal poles going from the lower latch to the upper latch and I can't get these off the lower latch? Any suggestions. I saw the post for the TM202 tumbler and keys. Are the keys already cut or do I need to take them to a locksmith and have hi cut them?

bwadswor

@johnnydarock, Still got the panel off? can you snap a quick photo?

i'd expect that you probably just need to prize out the locking ring (circlip) and slide out the lock. But, i've only got an a1-r.. so my handles/locks are different.

johnnydarock

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The door lock tumblers recommended by agazza2 did not work. I got the door handle off and took it to my local locksmith and he was able to just make keys for the existing tumbler. Cost me $50 but now I can lock the doors. They take a older Volvo key blank.

coachgeo

Glad you got it sorted.

Do you have a C7 engine? Get the feeling your truck is not an A1R...... or it is an A1r with a replacement A0 doors which would be real odd but I guess possible still. Do you have the large paddle handle door locks?

johnnydarock

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Do you have a C7 engine? Get the feeling your truck is not an A1R...... or it is an A1r with a replacement A0 doors which would be real odd but I guess possible still. Do you have the large paddle handle door locks?

I'm new to the LMTV world and don't know all the terms yet but I believe mine is a Caterpillar engine with a 7 speed transmission. Got the door back together today and will move onto getting it registered in California. Just liking the fact that I can now lock the doors...although I also keep a chain on the steering wheel since there is not ignition key. I will look into a "kill switch" type key on the battery box just for extra protection as I want to take my LMTV to Baja.

GENX

Anybody else have the problem on your A1R; if you lock the door and work the handle the mechanism will slip and unlock? I can post a video I guess, but it doesn't stay up and block the handle, it slides down over time and thus can be defeated. Not sure if the parts are worn or if there is another mechanism missing. Thoughts?

Third From Texas

Anybody else have the problem on your A1R; if you lock the door and work the handle the mechanism will slip and unlock? I can post a video I guess, but it doesn't stay up and block the handle, it slides down over time and thus can be defeated. Not sure if the parts are worn or if there is another mechanism missing. Thoughts?
Doesn't sound right. Both doors or only affecting one?

Might check up at the mechanism behind the striker latch. The last time I was messing with rods I noticed that my tinkering had tightened things up a bit. The key is stiffer to turn as is the lock knob. Sort of the opposite of what you're seeing?

But it shouldn't be falling unlocked. The weight of the rod itself shouldn't move the lever at all.

GENX

I got in and replaced one cylinder as the Old owner told me he had two new cylinders and keys. I had the old one out and the new one half in before I noticed they were the same numbered cylinders. After installing I had the benefit to "assist" the driver side to loosen it up until I could get it to seat.
The passenger side is so stiff I don't want to keep trying for fear of breaking the key off. So they definitely aren't the same.
So maybe there is something I can fiddle with at the upper latch area to tighten things up. Had to go ride dirt bikes with my son so didn't get to quite finish inspecting things.

I could get it to lock but if you keep bumping the handle the round part that the cylinder rotates to block the handle will start to fall (door panel is still off). I wonder if I am not rotating the keyed cylinder part far enough so that some cylinder holder/lock can wedge things in place after the key comes out?
I can send a video.

Last edited:

GENX

Just to close this thread.... when making a video: I accidentally closed the door and when I tried the cylinder; It absolutely Locked up solid as steel.
Apparently that was all it took. I had the door open when "Testing" the cylinders.
My ignorance was the enemy here. All good now.

GTUnit

I got in and replaced one cylinder as the Old owner told me he had two new cylinders and keys. I had the old one out and the new one half in before I noticed they were the same numbered cylinders. After installing I had the benefit to "assist" the driver side to loosen it up until I could get it to seat.
The passenger side is so stiff I don't want to keep trying for fear of breaking the key off. So they definitely aren't the same.
So maybe there is something I can fiddle with at the upper latch area to tighten things up. Had to go ride dirt bikes with my son so didn't get to quite finish inspecting things.

I could get it to lock but if you keep bumping the handle the round part that the cylinder rotates to block the handle will start to fall (door panel is still off). I wonder if I am not rotating the keyed cylinder part far enough so that some cylinder holder/lock can wedge things in place after the key comes out?
I can send a video.
Do you know the make/model of replacement key cylinders only?

ramdough

Old thread, but looking for myself.

Found this…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Old thread, but looking for myself.

Found this…..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Have you confirmed that it works?
Better yet, not being a locksmith - how to remove the old one?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks