• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV aftermarket shocks

Waltjg

I'm interested in the King shocks. How is this project going? Also, if anyone has a decent price on new stock shocks, let me know.

m37charlie

Whatever you do don't buy a set of Road King 3" shocks. I ordered a set for my 13 ton Unimog camper, told them the weights, sent them the spring deflection graphs, told them I "wanted it to ride like a BMW" (i.e. valved stiff). They used the lightest valving and they were USELESS, like no shocks at all, bounced 3-4 times on bumps on the highway. Their "engineering dept" (the owner) is totally ignorant of the physics of damping (never heard of Hooke's Law, doesn't know the difference between critical and subcritical damping). Don't use them for any sort of custom application, I think they thought my Unimog was some sort of Winnebago.

Charlie

Rebuilder

Whatever you do don't buy a set of Road King 3" shocks. I ordered a set for my 13 ton Unimog camper, told them the weights, sent them the spring deflection graphs, told them I "wanted it to ride like a BMW" (i.e. valved stiff). They used the lightest valving and they were USELESS, like no shocks at all, bounced 3-4 times on bumps on the highway. Their "engineering dept" (the owner) is totally ignorant of the physics of damping (never heard of Hooke's Law, doesn't know the difference between critical and subcritical damping). Don't use them for any sort of custom application, I think they thought my Unimog was some sort of Winnebago.

Charlie
I could see them not getting it right the first time because "ride like a BMW" is open to interpretation but if you're saying they wouldn't work with you to make it right then that's a problem. I assume they're rebuildable so new valving shouldn't be that big of a deal.

m37charlie

I actually said I did NOT want a soft ride, but after discussions with them (after I had received the shocks and installed them and determined they weren't going to work) I discovered the appalling lack of understanding of suspension physics that they seem to have. It was not confidence inspiring.

Charlie

scottmandu

It's going to be next to impossible to get an 8ton leaf spring supported truck to ride like a coil spring supported BMW.

snowtrac nome

overall the lmtv rides pretty good for the kind of truck it is, I use mine daily on gravel and un improved roads out here in western Alaska and until I do some suspendsion mods to my 1 ton dodge I'm in no rush to go back to it.

Aernan

This sounds interesting. I have no idea how to test my shocks to see if they might need upgrading or not but if there is an upgrade option I would love to know.

NomadTravels416

Would love to see them installed aswell. Just picked up an M1088 last week and would like to upgrade a few areas of the truck including suspension components.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks