• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Air Compressor pumping oil

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
So today, a Big day for the M1078 as i finally got plates for it, I took it to the streets for a test drive. When I got home I found a few things to take care of. The air compressor unit its self is leaking oil, I also found oil dripping from one of the vent lines in in the frame rail. and then my right rear wheel has oil flung out everywhere from the back side. Guess I get to learn how a Midland air compressor works.. Pictures to followimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg

Last edited:

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
No oil in the tanks, but oil is coming out of the air vent I posted a pic of. Going to have to wait to tare into this, I have a roof to fix this weekend. Also oil looks like it blew out the right rear brake can area. Sprayed oil all the way to the diff. My ctis is disconnected and there was no oil outboard of the brake cans. But oil was dripping off the cans and I'm pretty sure it was 15-40. And not gear lube

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Upon further investigation, all the oil on the rear is from a leak forward. Saw that there were dry shadows on the axle and the oil had to comr from forward. Still looks like out of an air fitting. My old air dryer did have a bit of oil in it. I may put my go pro down there and go for a drive to see when it comes out.

Bobcat701

Your truck may have a bad CTIS seal or seal guide in one or more of the wheels. A bad seal will cause gear oil to enter your air system. To check for a bad seal, remove the banjo bolt from suspect wheel. Inspect CTIS hose for gear oil. If you find gear oil draining out of the CTIS hose you may have found your gremlin, bad seal or missing seal guide.

I had to replace two of them this past week. My passenger side front tire was missing a seal guide. Overlooked by last military mechanic working on truck.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I pulled a banjo bolt on a rim. Wouldn't you know, gear oil dripping out. So it appears I have another issue. I have my ctis disconnected at the control block, as I have other ctis leaks as well. Thanks, one problem found and a plan to fix. Still have oil leaking at the air compressor, just haven't had time to investigate.

Your truck may have a bad CTIS seal or seal guide in one or more of the wheels. A bad seal will cause gear oil to enter your air system. To check for a bad seal, remove the banjo bolt from suspect wheel. Inspect CTIS hose for gear oil. If you find gear oil draining out of the CTIS hose you may have found your gremlin, bad seal or missing seal guide.

I had to replace two of them this past week. My passenger side front tire was missing a seal guide. Overlooked by last military mechanic working on truck.

Oxyacetylene

Steel Soldiers Supporter

This is a great tip. Do you have part numbers and/or sources for the needed seals and guides? Would you mind cross posting this to the thread below to add to that knowledge base?
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?140345-Air-Brake-Info-and-Troubleshooting

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
There are 2 seals in the hub area around the axle so the air has a passage to get thru to the valve. Hub has to be lubricated and wheel spins so you cant have a direct tube. Leaking seals allow oil in and/or fill air out and as the air passes in and out it picks up oil and distributes it places it shouldnt be.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
As for oil where it shouldn't be, it's leaking out the Hub and into the brake pads on the front left. Pulled the hose on the wheel stud to find dripping oil there too. Guess I will get to learn all about how the hubs go together. Will make for a good time to also install some high speed gears I have sitting in the garage. This truck is turning more like a boat every day lol. Hole in the water you throw money at

mkcoen

Steel Soldiers Supporter
My friend who does testing at Yuma calls these a 'money pit'..
I've put a fair amount of money in mine but its mostly been cosmetic improvements. The biggest outlay for mechanical parts was the tranny ECU and Suprman gave me a smokin' deal on that. With everything I've paid, including initial purchase price, I'm still well below even a cheap boat. So while I may still be pouring money in a hole I still have had more than the 2 best days of owning a boat (the day you buy it and day you sell it).

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
It's a nice truck. Good for fun and function of you need it. Not a bad hobby to have in the scheme of things. Probably worth more than you have invested in it. I think even after 20 years the trucks are still misunderstood by the operators and mechanics who are taught part swapping but not theory of operation. The military in general is a bottomless money pit.

DiverDarrell

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Well so far, I've upgraded the alt, air dryer, replaced all the check valves, hand fulls of relays, figured out a para cord outside door handle, and upgraded the headlights. Still all worth the smiles per mile I get with it.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks