• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV alternator upgrade max amps?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The standard power protection block is 100a. 200a alt kit comes with a new protection block. The newer a1 trucks have a fancier protection/charge regulation block thats 200a. The only thing the protection block does on first gen trucks is protect against someone installing the batts backwards. The voltage regulator is on the alternator. What are you running that you need more current?

1951M1078

Suprman, do you know what the standard running load is ? Running and head lights and systems for the motor and trans. I'm adding some other lights and why will need 57 amp's at 24 volts. Think their is enough ?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The 100a output rating is shared between 12 and 24 volts. I dont know what the truck draws to operate but I dont think its much. What do you have that will draw 57 amps?

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
No way those pull that current. Maybe if they were halogens. Are they multivolt? Rated 8 or 9 amps at 12volt? Will be half that current draw at 24 volts. You will be in the 27 volt range when running so 4 amps each x 6 lights. May not even be that much. I have huge 20000 lumen led work lights that only draw 15 amps at 24 volts.

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
Similar ones say 10-30 volt, 6 amp draw at 24 volt. Use a digital meter on current function and connect one. Set the lights on 2 separate relate controlled by 2 switches. I would do the 2 that are second to the ends on one circuit and the rest on the second circuit. Are they supposed to be floods or spots?

PowerstrokeNC

The standard power protection block is 100a. 200a alt kit comes with a new protection block. The newer a1 trucks have a fancier protection/charge regulation block thats 200a. The only thing the protection block does on first gen trucks is protect against someone installing the batts backwards. The voltage regulator is on the alternator. What are you running that you need more current?
I want to add a low profile RV Ac Unit, this will be powered by a inverter/converter to supply the ac with 120v at about 13-14 amps...
Could probably run the inverter straight off the 24v leg of the alternator maybe (a 200 amp version)...

coachgeo

I want to add a low profile RV Ac Unit, this will be powered by a inverter/converter to supply the ac with 120v at about 13-14 amps...
Could probably run the inverter straight off the 24v leg of the alternator maybe (a 200 amp version)...
Supplement Alt you have with solar on a solid roof over your bed. Possibly even wind generation off cage fans just peaking above roof line at end of bed. maybe between bed and back of cab too???. Of course the Wind Generation will cause drag and make engine work harder.. but so will higher output alternator so really you loose nothing and gain AC and gain power source for camping, battery maintaining, and other options like 12v power tool charging and....

or be boring and have fabricated some new brackets to mount a second 24v commercial truck alternator or Generator Head dedicated as the AC power source. You could also piggyback a small generator with its own engine onto the truck somewhere. Good number of these are 1/3 the cost of the 200 amp alt. kit.

Last edited:

Shark Bait

The one the coal company acquired from you is running an inverter with a roof top A/C unit on the original alternator. At first they used a 24 volt inverter, it was later replaced with a 12 volt one. The A/C unit had a leak and they thought the inverter went bad. Replaced the inverter with the 12 volt one and a new A/C unit and it's been fine every since. They've had it one there since they got it from you 2 years ago. It is wired to the batteries running 0ga wire.

Dave

Suprman

Supporting Vendor
The longer mrap alternators don't fit. If you found one that physically fit in the space and the pulley lined up then you could probably fab a bracket. 300 amps is a lot of current. What are you planning on running?

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
These are dual voltage 200 amp @ 28V and 100 amps at 14V. Dual winches that pull up to 285 amps each and radio gear. I have a 450 amp @ 28V but it is physically too large.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks