• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV Antenna Ground

Bobcat701

I am planning to install a 24vdc to 12vdc inverter in my truck to use 12 volt accessories such as a CB radio. I understand that I need to ground the radio to the inverter due to reading other posts on SS.

I have removed all the internal tuning mechanisms of the antenna base and cut the antenna it to the frequency of CB channel 21. 234/frq in Mhz. (That’s what my troop uses 90% of the time.)

Can I ground the antenna to the cab using the grounding cable found on the antenna base? Or, is it better to not ground the antenna to the cab since the coax cable is grounded to the radio? If I ground the base back into the cab will the entire system turn back to 24 vdc.

What is confusing me is that the original military radio cables were attached to a plug providing 12 volts, and the antenna was grounded to the truck cab. Interesting stuff.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

wyocommo

I am planning to install a 24vdc to 12vdc inverter in my truck to use 12 volt accessories such as a CB radio. I understand that I need to ground the radio to the inverter due to reading other posts on SS.

I have removed all the internal tuning mechanisms of the antenna base and cut the antenna it to the frequency of CB channel 21. 234/frq in Mhz. (That’s what my troop uses 90% of the time.)

Can I ground the antenna to the cab using the grounding cable found on the antenna base? Or, is it better to not ground the antenna to the cab since the coax cable is grounded to the radio? If I ground the base back into the cab will the entire system turn back to 24 vdc.

What is confusing me is that the original military radio cables were attached to a plug providing 12 volts, and the antenna was grounded to the truck cab. Interesting stuff.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated.

Joe

Hello Joe,

Almost all antennas will require a metallic ground to their mounting surface except for a few that are specifically designed for non-metallic surfaces. PM me and I can help you through this. Just installed a digitization rack in my LMTV and mounted Motorola VHF, UHF and Harris HF equipment.

Bobcat701

I appreciate that. I sent you my phone number on my last PM. You can call me after 1500 your time or just PM me the instructions. Impressive work installing all that commo gear on your rig.

Thanks again,

Joe

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks