• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

LMTV arrived

deshet

I had a great experience with United States of Freight. I filled out an online quote request and got an extremely far quote with 1 hour. My truck was loaded within 2 hours of that call and it arrived at my storage unit the next day.
My truck arrived on Wednesday

I must own the lowest mileage Lmtv in the country at only 94 miles. Smells new on the inside.

I have some work to do to get it going but will keep you posted.

Thanks,

Attachments

deshet

I had a great experience with United States of Freight. I filled out an online quote request and got an extremely far quote within 1 hour. My truck was loaded within 2 hours of that call and it arrived at my storage unit the next day.
My truck arrived on Wednesday

I must own the lowest mileage Lmtv in the country at only 94 miles. Smells new on the inside.

I have some work to do to get it going but will keep you posted.

ThanksI had a great experience with United States of Freight. I filled out an online quote request and got an extremely far quote with 1 hour. My truck was loaded within 2 hours of that call and it arrived at my storage unit the next day. The driver sent 10 pictures of the truck loaded. He verbal went over the condition before loading and refused a tip. We worked very hard to get it off the truck as it has no brakes and does run.

I must own the lowest mileage Lmtv in the country at only 94 miles. Bought it from a Sheriff department that didn't even title it and never used.

I have some work to do to get it going but will keep you posted. Just hoping that it doesn't nickel and dime me to death. I have a air dryer on the way. I need to install batteries and a battery box cover.

Thanks, ,123_3.jpg123_1.jpg123_4.jpg

coachgeo

Much Congratulations. Low miles on the OD may only means they swapped the OD out recently. What truely matters is the oil analysis info on some of the auction sites that tell you how good the engine is. Oil analysis on your own oil changes is a good thing to do too. Here :beer: is to hoping your low milage is accurate.

Last edited:

Dwnorton1

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Much Congratulations. Low miles on the OD may only means they swapped the OD out recently. What truely matters is the oil analysis info on some of the auction sites that tell you how good the engine is. Oil analysis on your own oil changes is a good thing to do too. Here :beer: is to hoping your low milage is accurate.
Do you or any other member have a particular testing company? What should I expect to pay for analysis? Thanks in advance.

Congratulation deshet. Very nice.

FloridaAKM

You now belong to the LMTV & it demands a steady diet of attention, $$$ & gives you back both happiness & aggravation. Nice looking truck, seems like you found a great shipping company. Post up your trials & tribulations of getting her ready & road worthy. Don't forget more picture as you go.

There is a major wealth of information here on how to fix what ails her & how to replace what is missing.

deshet

The interior is brand new the pedals aren't worn. I bought it from a sheriff's office not GP. They had the pick of the fleet. They seem to really be into military vehicles. They had crates of diesel motorcycles that are brand new. I need to get some batteries in it today. I have Group 31s but wiring diagram or battery cover. I would like to see what works and check all the fluids.

The story about this truck is it was used as a trainer for the soldiers. They practiced on this so that would know what to do in the field. The story makes sense based on the mileage. No dirt, no rust, no corrosion.

Thanks,

deshet

The interior is brand new the pedals aren't worn. I bought it from a sheriff's office not GP. They had the pick of the fleet. They seem to really be into military vehicles. They had crates of diesel motorcycles that are brand new. I need to get some batteries in it today. I have Group 31s but wiring diagram or battery cover. I would like to see what works and check all the fluids.

The story about this truck is it was used as a trainer for the soldiers. They practiced on this so that would know what to do in the field. The story makes sense based on the mileage. No dirt, no rust, no corrosion.

Thanks,

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks like a great truck. The battery wiring diagram is published here on this site. Make sure you do your battery connections properly, DON'T GUESS! The 31's don't fit very well but you can use them in a pinch. The military typically wrote the mileage on the oil filter at filter changes, my truck shows super low miles on the odo but the filter had 2,0XX written on it.

Diagram:
http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showth...tery-hook-up-diagram&highlight=wiring+diagram

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
merged them.

Jericho

Guys just some advice on "SOAP" Spectrometric OiL Analysis, We used it since the 40s in the USAF on Jet engines primarily. That is where it started. IT CAN BE a wonderful tool , but there are a couple of basic things one must understand

1. to be of any value you have to know what metal levels you are looking for, i.e. "babbit" material from the mains , possibly a singular use metal from a pump. If you have singular metal , you can observe the wear rate on that item , BUT, if your trying to observe a wear metal trend on a ferrous metal that's used through out the engine, YOUR WASTEING YOUR TIME, In a jet engine for example the number three bearing retainer key way on a TF 34 100a engine was a nickel alloy, so high nickel and a slight vibration on the number three vibe pick up and you had a bad number three bearing housing, COMPLETE TEAR DOWN TO FIX IT.

2. Trend analysis is only possible with a time on oil factor. You cant track a trend if you change the oil all the time ! ALSO YOU CANT ADD TONS OF OIL IF YOU WANT A RELIABLE TREND, This means you cant be adding oil all the time, Your system cant have a constant little leak that seems ok as long as your dumping a few gallons in every week, It dilutes the wear trend particulate and makes a true analysis near worthless.

Don't believe the guys who say you have high iron and recommend a drain and flush, Iron (or what ever ) is high for a reason, Flushing it just DESTROYS the particulate path, WASHES the crank case clean and mask the problem, the possible failure mode is still there. We used 10 hours of operation (flight) as a standard monitor point. although it could be on an hourly or check after every flight scheduale. Jet engines run at higher RPM, TEMP and the flight envelope can be extreme so the truck engine , which has a much more stable and benign working environment is easier to track. SOAP works for diff, gear boxes, engines, pumps, drives, trannies , you name it, but clues have to be built in , Like a diff, to show wear , shims made of traceable material to show wear, Gears made of dissimilar materials to denote which one is wearing, and most importantly wear metal concentrations have to be evaluated and identified, Normal , Low High , failure ect . I spent years evaluating Jet engines and using SOAP we had an AFSC that did little more than burn samples every day . On your truck your as well off to change fluids and filters regularly, observe operation, listen for sounds and watch the temps . Does the same thing and cost NOTHING but your time

deshet

Thanks for the link to the battery diagram. The title, the condition, and the lack of use leads me to believe that the mileage is accurate. Also knowing that government agencies get the pick of the litter leads me to be believe that the mileage is right. The government agency titling it as a 1986 vs a 1996 so someone in house could put Antique plates on it leads me to believe that the mileage is right. Regardless the difference between 94 and 9400 is nothing to a diesel. I have seen a similar LMTV setting on a guard base for the last 11 years without moving once. Either way I am happy with it at this point. Once I getting it running I will be building it into a expo camper. Not sure if I will use an ambulance box or get something custom built

I have access to a mechanical cummins 8.3 6cta/ does anyone know if the allison will bolt up to it? Wondering if I should hold onto the cummins long term. I have seen a few classifieds ads that list a cummins in a lmtv but was wondering if that is a mistake in the listing.

Thanks

grantmhawkins

Thanks,
Are they selling the motorcycles also?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BillabongKong

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Awesome truck Deshet! Best luck with it.
I have heard that the local Gov. can sell them with a title after one year is that the case with yours?
I would be interested in one of those bikes too! did they look like this?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks